What's new

Why is KB4056892 Foobar'ng my Surface Pro 4?

Roveer

I received a surface pro 4 today from a user that would go into a WHEA_Uncorrectable Error at login. Sometimes right away, sometimes after a minute or two. I diag'd the thing for hours testing everything. It would even blow up in Safe Mode.

Eventually I re-installed windows fresh and after a few rounds of updates it would go back to blowing up.

I traced it down to KB4056892 which is the dreaded Meltdown/Septre update.

Strangly, this evening after yet another fresh windows install it's no longer trying to download and install this update. Did MS pull it? Was it lingering on a server that I was downloading from?

My Surface is an i5 and I've been reading about all the troubles with AMD processors, but it was having a very bad effect on my Surface. I don't see other similar posts so I'm left wondering why I'm having this problem.

Very strange. Any ideas?

Roveer

iliketoys

Not sure why no one else is noticing this. The Meltdown update in January has slowed down all computers. I've definitely noticed it on my SP4 i7. Apps take way longer to open as does file folders.

Hopefully a fix is on the way. Saw this article a few days ago about a new Intel update that is supposed to address the previous poor fix. Intel ships update for newest Spectre-affected chips

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There were several reported issues with this update.

According to the Update Catalog:
Microsoft Update Catalog

2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892)
Last Modified: 1/4/2018

This update has been replaced by the following updates:
2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4058258)
2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4074588).

Not sure why it was trying to install this update if it was replaced but I'd chalk it up to a Windows Update SNAFU.

Last edited: