What's new

Why MS killed the Start Button (most don't use/need it)

Tom T

One of the first things I did with my new Thinkpad Twist was grab the free Lenovo Start. But I have to ask myself will clinging to a utility that likely is not coming back in an official way make me less productive, in the long term, while making the transition to Windows 8. Of course, when I think about it, since when does anyone not personalize their machines in so many different ways and the start button is just one more useful option. I wonder if people will still be having this discussion when Windows 9 comes out.

leeshor

They have sold some copies but even then you aren't talking about that many in the grand scheme. Some people are buying it just because they are told to or freaked out about something they didn't realize they aren't even using. If they want to buy Stardock that is their choice there are free versions and you can also do this http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...iscussion/4427-why-all-start-button-fuss.html. So I don't see a problem for those that really want the option back :)

I do have a lot of customers still using the start menu in 7. Most have a ton of apps they use and don't like or want to create folders on the desktop for their apps, (like I do). The ones I find who never use the start menu are the 2 - 3 and 4 monitor users and the CAD - photographer and graphic design customers who only use 5 - 8 apps at most.

Me, I'm, an app/program hog.

Vasculata

What nonsense.....

Sure, the start button was less than great BUT the start screen left off and has not replces manyh thngs the start screen did well ... recent documents, frequently used programs, favorite programs, and even off button.

Win 8 is a reasonable idewa but so much if it is kludgy ..

the start button
the lack of a simple interface with file explorer
the utter mess of sharing ... its ainability to work with email otyher than Winn8's own disfunctional app ...
the lack of nesting in groups
lack of shortcuts that would allow an app to sit in more than one group
lack of any way to find WHERE an app is if you have a big start screen woth many groups.
lack of ability to assign icons to tiles
mysterious identities of many tiles .. esp bing and these desktop.
inconsistencies between the metro and win8 desktop .. e.g alt tab and swipe left bezel show different apps.
lack of access to metro apps from desktop
the mail app .. this would nto matter if there were others to choose from and if the app was nto integrated nto the os esp in re sharing.

Win 8 is a very unfinished product that MS rushed out. That is not so bad, IF rather than forcing folks to buy win 9, they release some real upgrades.

Nuspieds

There is a shift that is for sure. We just received our first BYOD guidelines to accommodate the user driven device push. iPads have been supported for a while and the shift from Blackberries to iPhone was really rapid. Windows phones are now starting to be allowed (about a year ago when I asked for one instead of an iPhone it was a no go) and Surface RT/Pro are allowed but no Android devices phone or tablet or new Blackberries.
How interesting!

At my company, it's yes to iOS and Android; there is no BYOD for Microsoft devices (yet). The funny thing is that we are also a Microsoft partner, so go figure! :)

If I had to bet, I'd bet that we approve Surfaces prior to Windows Phones. Anyway, I'm keeping my eye out to see how it turns out.

pallentx

I think they did the right thing. If they gave you the option to make 8 work just like 7, most people would take it and be happy. The dwindling base of customers would be happy while the masses move off traditional mouse-keyboard desktop interfaces onto mobile devices on competitors' platforms. We've all seen the reports. Desktop sales are at record lows. MS wasn't too early to make this move - they were too late. This is their big chance to get the masses still on desktops used to MS' mobile/tablet interface so when they make the move, they choose Windows over an iPad, or Android.

pallentx

Personally, I like the new start screen. I can do everything I did on the old one, but its even better. The live tiles are infinitely more useful than launchers. Its a new concept, they will find ways to refine it, but for me, if I could chose the old start menu, I wouldn't. I would have in the first week of use, but after a some time now, I definitely like it better.

zhenya

I'm fairly happy with the new Start Screen. Since Windows 7 pretty much the only thing I used the Start Menu for was searching. I rarely if ever delved into the deeper menus by mouse. Having a larger screen to present that content is a good idea - but it needs some tweaking. Primarily, they made the search to find what you are looking for experience worse by displaying only App results as the default! It used to be that the Start Menu displayed all results, regardless of category but by how well it matched the search criteria. Now if you aren't searching for an App, you need to use extra clicks to go to settings or files. Why not use that screen real estate to show all results, grouped together as a column of Apps Settings and Files??

Nuspieds

I love Windows 8! When I upgraded my old laptop from 7 Ultimate to 8 Pro, it resulted in an environment that was much more stable than Windows 7. An added bonus was the much faster startup.

Yes, there are a whole host of issues that need to be addressed in the Modern UI but, overall, I love the touch interface and I'm all in when it comes to embracing and moving forward with Windows 8. Surely, like all previous versions Windows, improvements and fixes are on the roadmap, so things can only get better.

When I got the Surface Pro, that is when I started the paradigm shift to the Modern UI. Slowly, but surely, I am building up my Windows 8 app library and I can't wait until the day that I'm spending most/all of my time with Modern UI apps.

Tom T

Looks like Microsoft is rethinking the whole start button issue, and rumour has it that it will return in 8.1, as well as a boot to desktop option.

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Looks like Microsoft is rethinking the whole start button issue, and rumour has it that it will return in 8.1, as well as a boot to desktop option.

Wouldn't be the first time. Unlike some companies MS does actually listen to feedback. From the OP link:

Interesting side story: did you know that Quick Launch was initially disabled by default in Windows XP because some people believed the MFU list and pinning in the Start menu would suffice? We saw a volume of evidence to the contrary, and so we reversed the decision (though back then, the data upon which we based these decisions was limited, so we don't really know what a broad variety of customers were doing). What we took away from this was that it was important for you to be able to designate what apps you care about, see them all in one place, and have them be one click away, rather than trying to guess what is important through software heuristics or having important items mixed with less important items.

Tom T

The Start button is really the contentious thing though, at least the more lively discussions seems to revole around it.