What's new

Why no on-screen keyboard 'swipe up to appear' option??

ChrisPanzer

In my line of work, I have to use my tablet at times sans the Type Cover. Therefore, I'm a cyber-slave to the on-screen keyboard, and the limited options Windows provides for them.

The bottom toolbar button is quite tedious to zero-in on, and press. I find myself at times breaking my concentration just to go back and look for the button to press.

To me, it would feel quite intuitive to simply 'swipe up from the bottom' to engage the on-screen keyboard (active it). That would be the quickest, seamless way to make it appear (to me).

Someone, anyone, please tell me there is a registry hack/etc to make this dream a reality!

As far as my other qualms go, I am using IE more (instead of superior Opera), and I find it much more tablet-compatible. In desktop mode I'll use Opera.

Nuspieds

The TouchMe Gesture Studio app can help you. As a matter of fact, the feature you are looking for is currently listed as the first bullet under "Actions Currently Available" in the description.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Its because you are living in the desktop, Office 2013 SP1 currently is the only Win32 Application in Windows 8.1 that can bring up the keyboard automatically.... and its hit or miss. This vastly improves in Windows 10.

In Windows 8.1 the MUI Environment you get a consistent OSK experience.

Nuspieds

Its because you are living in the desktop, Office 2013 SP1 currently is the only Win32 Application in Windows 8.1 that can bring up the keyboard automatically.... and its hit or miss. This vastly improves in Windows 10.

I am now reminded of an "issue" I had with Desktop mode where the Touch Keyboard Toolbar always appears. Since I hardly use the Touch Keyboard in Desktop mode, I wanted to get rid of its Toolbar, yet still call it up on-demand. I found hack that allows me to do so and to call it on-demand, I created as shortcut icon on my Taskbar to the following program:
  • "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\TabTip.exe"
So this is also a solution rather than having to install and configure a touch-gesture app.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

The TouchMe Gesture Studio app can help you. As a matter of fact, the feature you are looking for is currently listed as the first bullet under "Actions Currently Available" in the description.
Wow, and this is why I love forums. So many untapped, unknown apps out there just waiting to be exploited.

Thank you, kind sir. You've made my dreams a reality. Cannot thank you enough! All hail the Pappa Roach!

Nuspieds

Wow, and this is why I love forums. So many untapped, unknown apps out there just waiting to be exploited.

Thank you, kind sir. You've made my dreams a reality. Cannot thank you enough! All hail the Pappa Roach!
You're very welcome! :)

But per my post above, you might want to try the Taskbar shortcut instead to see if that is a better/simpler solution.

dishyfruitcake

My OSK isn't showing up in OneNote. Any ideas how I can "jostle" it back into function?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My OSK isn't showing up in OneNote. Any ideas how I can "jostle" it back into function?
OneNote MUI or OneNote 2013? If it is the MUI version that isn't bringing up the keyboard, a reboot should fix it...if it is the desktop version it can be hit or miss, it gets more consistent in Windows 10.