What's new

Why the Surface Pro 3 has quietly replaced my work PC

mcsenerd

Shoot... My MacBook Pro has been relegated to my filing cabinet since I got the original Surface Pro :D

Here it sits...in all its dust gathering glory:
RelegatedMacBookPro.jpg

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that mine would replace my work PC too... but it's a personal device and cannot connect to the work LAN, .... so the power is pretty useless unless I want to use my phone to sync to the cloud...

compnovo

While it can't replace my office desktop (that computer is not mine to replace) the SP3 had certainly become my on-the-road work PC. And play PC, of course. ;)

bluegrass

I read that article this morning and it made me smile.

Here's another article on the SP3 that I found quite exciting since I'm an outdoor adventure kind of person. http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com...o-3-review-the-ultimate-outdoor-co-1645988630

I even followed a link to GoalZero - http://www.goalzero.com/p/211/sherpa-100-solar-kit/40:3/. They have some exciting power options for when I'm dry camping. The Sherpa 100 solar kit isn't cheap but I think I might get one. It will fit in perfectly with my Surface Pro 3, GoPro 3+ black, & my Phantom 2 quad copter.

If I could do a reversal and use the Surface as my FPV monitor while flying my Phantom, it would serve another great use for me.

Attachments

• Ozark River.jpg
    Ozark River.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:

wditters

I'm pretty sure that mine would replace my work PC too... but it's a personal device and cannot connect to the work LAN, .... so the power is pretty useless unless I want to use my phone to sync to the cloud...

That's wat they invented Mac address spoofing for ;-)

bluegrass

Cause it's so flippin' easy to carry around. Give me the airbags in a 360-30 to push punch cards in place for the bios.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's wat they invented Mac address spoofing for ;-)
hmm interesting... but TBH possibly trouble I have raised a support request asking that I can connect somehow to at least sync with onenote so I can sync my notes from meetings easily. Will see what they say...!

wditters

hmm interesting... but TBH possibly trouble I have raised a support request asking that I can connect somehow to at least sync with onenote so I can sync my notes from meetings easily. Will see what they say...!

Depends on what email address you use on your PC to log into OneNote. Corporate or Microsoft?

Deryl McCarty

Yo, dude. Probably worth your while to talk to your IT department and upper management. The whole concept of BYOD along with cloud services, mobile connections, mobile security and Azure means or could mean, less out of pocket expense for the company since you are providing the computing power at your desk and on the road that the company now provides. Company apps and remote access would/could occur in some desktops/pages of Win 10 with the machine recording the time and charges for company business and then not pay when you are online as yourself with a Steam Connection playing whatever. I think most companies would be paying less at the outset and less (to none) in maintenance, parts and upgrades. And when you are signed in with ID/Pwd "A" you'll be not only on company time but to their cloud access and share files. When you log off and use ID/Pwd "B" you have access only to your personal cloud files, saved games and movies. Then when you leave the company they nuke the ID and Pwd and you are left with your machine to yourself.

Or do I have this whole concept wrong?