What's new

Wifi-802.11N not being used?

I have the SP2Pro 256GB. As far as I know, everything is up to date as far as updates. I noticed my modem allows me to choose 802.11A/N and N for 5Ghz. I locked it on N.
When I do ctrl-shift-esc and check my wifi, it says I'm connected at 802.11A, not N. I tried it on two different modems and it always says 802.11A. I'm pretty sure it used to say N. Is my wifi driver busted? Or is that just how the Surface displays the connection?

GoodBytes

Turn off your bluetooth, does that help?
Where are you see 802.11A?

It is very strange that your router has the option for wireless a (which is SUPER old, and very uncommon), and N, but not wireless G.

OP
S

starstreak

The wifi on the router 2.4Ghz has g/n. The 5Ghz has a/n/ac. So if I set the 5Ghz to N only, the SP2 shows 802.11a. Do Ctrl-shift-esc. Then select wifi and you can see what the wifi is connecting with.

Oh. Although SP2 says 802.11a, it transfers data faster than 56Mbps which I think is 802.11a tops at. So I dunno.

When I get home I'll try with BT turned off and see if that makes a difference. Weird if it does.

GoodBytes

Oh that. It is probably a driver bug or a bug in the Task Manager (if it is on the Task Manager, it is still there on Windows 10 if you wonder, at least so far).

As wireless 802.11a works also on 5GHz, (n, a and ac works on that same spectrum, just that wireless a normally does 2Mbps, but was able to be pushed to 54Mbps), it portably uses that to know the connection type and reports incorrectly. It doesn't seam to look at the actual speed.

OP
S

starstreak

Yup beats me. I upgraded to Win10 and I still see 802.11a and 802.11n when connecting to the 5Ghz connection. I still have no true way of determining what the Surface is really connecting at. There are times, and I can be just 4ft from the router in the same room, I'll get ~50Mbps speedtest, while once in a while I'll get ~130Mbps. My connection at home is 200/20. The wired computer will hit ~190-200Mbps.
The SP2 has 2x2 MIMO?