What's new

WiFi fix coming in September

ctitanic

Capture.JPG

Wiidesire

Honestly while I think that the frequent updates are good the issues should already be fixed nearly 2 month after release.

JesseDiaz

I can only speak for myself but, Im okay with this whole process over all. Im an early adapter....so I expect things like this. I lived with it and they are making improvements

But I didn't have some of the horror stories Ive heard.....

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Honestly while I think that the frequent updates are good the issues should already be fixed nearly 2 month after release.
Keep in mind that there are many other manufacturers with parts included in the SP3 and they are the ones that develop the drivers.

Wiidesire

Doesn't matter. I expect a premium product like the SP3 with a huge price tag to work flawlessly. Especially when it is launched since 2 months and there was testing before that.

Doesn't matter where the software comes from, Microsoft decided to include it in their device, which makes it also their responsibility that it works.

malberttoo

SP3 came out on June 20. With the thousands of users using them, connected to all kind of manner of different wireless devices, in different situations, no way do I expect Microsoft to have this issue solved in only 2 months, because no doubt it is probably multiple issues causing just the one issue.

As far as I'm concerned, MS has been doing a great job keeping after the issues. Most of us had our main problems resolved after only the first few updates, and MS further demonstrated their commitment to resolving the problems by releasing at least 1 update completely outside of the normal update cycle.

I'm confident that all the "reproducible" issues will be resolved in time.

Just take it as a good sign for now that they haven't yet told us that "we were holding our SP3's wrong"...

malberttoo

Doesn't matter. I expect a premium product like the SP3 with a huge price tag to work flawlessly.

HA HA. If that's your expectation about devices, then I suggest right now that you prepare those expectations to be repeatedly dashed, in all of life.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Doesn't matter. I expect a premium product like the SP3 with a huge price tag to work flawlessly. Especially when it is launched since 2 months and there was testing before that.

Doesn't matter where the software comes from, Microsoft decided to include it in their device, which makes it also their responsibility that it works.
Yes, but you have to think that there are 1000 of different Wifi scenarios. There is not a way for Microsoft to test all of them. Things are not that simple like you thick that they are.

benjitek

My SP2 has that known issue of WiFi speeds being reduced by half when both Bluetooth and WiFi are on, it's a hardware issue with the combination WiFi/Bluetooth chip that was used and will never be fixed. At least the WiFi issues with the SP3 can be addressed (though a similar fix was promised more than once for the SP2) :-(

tuchas

Well, I agree with most of the comments on the efforts MS is making to rectify these issues. The problem I have is that this is just more fodder for the press to dump on the Surface. When tech media outlets are talking up the multi-million-dollar losses on the Surface that MS is incurring, anything else just looks bad. My biggest fear is this is the type of thing that will scare people away. I've already had one bonehead colleague try to tell me how much money I wasted on the SP3, that it's an overpriced Zune, etc., etc. We all know that's a load of crap, but still, these things need to be addressed even faster to make the product look more viable. Just my two cents.