What's new

WiFi fix coming in September

bluegrass

Doesn't matter. I expect a premium product like the SP3 with a huge price tag to work flawlessly. Especially when it is launched since 2 months and there was testing before that.

Doesn't matter where the software comes from, Microsoft decided to include it in their device, which makes it also their responsibility that it works.

Boy, I considered myself as a dreamer but you and several other people here really outdo me.

mmoran27

Seriously?

They have the previous gen Marvell chip and still have the same issues with wifi and Bluetooth connected standby or not

ipaq_101

Seriously?

They have the previous gen Marvell chip and still have the same issues with wifi and Bluetooth connected standby or not

I have not one but two MS pens and not once have I had any of them disconnect on me since they were initially paired.

I also have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard that I use when I connect the SP3 to my monitor at home and again I haven't had to re-pair it.

Maybe you have a defective pen, maybe your battery is low, I have no idea, but don't make it seem like its a common experience for all users.

I would suggest you contact MS support and have them send you a replacement pen or at least try and troubleshoot it and identify the problem.

ipaq_101

Another suggestion for everyone is to go to your windows update history and see if the updates actually succeeded or failed, I noticed on a few on my updates that even once the computer rebooted the update didn't stick.

My wifi on battery problem has been fixed and we all have had the same updates, so maybe some of the updates are sticking? Just a suggestion, maybe it might help or it might not.

mohcho

Another suggestion for everyone is to go to your windows update history and see if the updates actually succeeded or failed, I noticed on a few on my updates that even once the computer rebooted the update didn't stick.

My wifi on battery problem has been fixed and we all have had the same updates, so maybe some of the updates are sticking? Just a suggestion, maybe it might help or it might not.

Sorry it doesn't in my case. All the firmware updates have installed correctly.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seriously?

I have no understanding of the previous generation surface pros, but i'll offer this. Other than the speed, most of the issues surrounding wifi are due to connected standby, a brand new feature for surface pro's, and secondly, if you are aware that it uses the same marvell chip and both sp1 and sp2 still have unsolved widespread wifi and bluetooth problems that microsoft/marvell still can't solve, surely you'd have a slight indication that if they've yet to solve it, why would sp3 be any different? I'll admit i'm confused though. How can they be the same wireless/bluetooth hardware if the sp3 is AC capable but the sp2 only N?

And again, you talk of these wifi/bt issues as if everyone has it; they dont, you seem to be a minority. If my pen continuously disconnected form bluethooth, well i'd take it back, because the internet has made it clear that there are plenty of units out there without this issue.

Oh, heck. I can't name a piece of consumer electronics that I've bought in the last five years that hasn't had one problem or another. My MacBook Air's WiFi connection is less reliable than my SP3's, and I've given up on Apple fixing it. I just reset things and it works--an inconvenience and nothing more.

Sure, I expect something I spend good money on to work, but I also recognize that the industry is so competitive, and thus the amount of technology that I have in my hands for what's really a remarkably low price is quite amazing, and so maybe I've just learned to temper my expectations of perfection.
Same here. My WiFi on my iPad 3 (which is supposed to be "perfect") regularly takes 20 seconds to resolve a URL that my SP3 resolves in 2 seconds. Every device I own has quirks. The trick is to accept that there will be *some* and if they are not keeping you from doing your work, or are not keeping you up at night with worry, learn to live with them and hope for the best...

mitchellvii

Hi guys. Thinking of buying the SP3. So wifi speeds are cut to half when Bluetooth is enabled? I recall my original Surface Pro doing that. Wasn't a problem because I wasn't using Bluetooth for anything but with the pen now being Bluetooth this seems like a huge issue.

Man I am starting to get discouraged about this device.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Hi guys. Thinking of buying the SP3. So wifi speeds are cut to half when Bluetooth is enabled? I recall my original Surface Pro doing that. Wasn't a problem because I wasn't using Bluetooth for anything but with the pen now being Bluetooth this seems like a huge issue.

Man I am starting to get discouraged about this device.
The Wifi issue in SP3 does not have anything to do with BT but with Power Management.