What's new

WiFi fix coming in September

malberttoo

MICROSOFT!!! please get your act together and fix the WIFI. One of the reason I returned the first i5 version was Wifi frustration. I decided that get the i7 version on Aug 1, and WiFi was working flawless until some update that took place on mid Aug. The last week or so my SF3 is starting to experience lost WiFi out of no where. The device simply said, your device doesn't have wireless device. I was like, what are you talking about? I was just using it and put it down for 10-15 min and BAM.. no wifi. I had to reboot to get everything back. I am starting to get frustrated again....

Just in case you don't already know, you can roll back the driver to the previous version.

mmoran27

It has happened in all driver versions. Don't waste your time. MS has no clue how to fix this or they would have already.

Len J

Its interesting how random some of these problems are... or appear to be. I got my SP3 yesterday and immediately updated all available updates and have used it continually. Zero problems w WiFi or the Bluetooth w both a pen and a mouse.

I wonder what is different.

Len

double07

I had to reboot at least three times yesterday with wifi device disappeared. I was using it today, took a shower and when I came back. Wifi device disappeared again. I also noticed that the bluetooth also disappeared. I ran the troubleshooter, it said the wireless device was disabled. I didn't disable it?? but there isn't a way to enable other than rebooting.

I decided to look around after reboot, I noticed the bluetooth is on the same chip as wifi. It also has option to be turned on when idle. I am wondering if that is the bug in driver which turned off all radio completely. I disabled it and I hope that fix the issue. I didn't have the device idle long enough to see it. Only time will tell I guess. I figured I share the info.

wifi_issue.png

TomMariner

Hope Microsoft fixes the wifi issue soon, but the insanely quick restart does blunt the damage.

My only other issue with this incredible device has nothing to do with Microsoft. I am used to Chrome and it doesn't work with the Surface. The issue seems to be that Google doesn't recognize there is such a thing as a tablet that can also be a notebook. Any touch on an editable field to place the cursor brings up the stupid on-screen keyboard -- sure you can totally disable the on-screen keyboard, but that kills the whole "rip off the keyboard and have a tablet" experience. I'm betting it is Google's scud missile against the competition to the Chromebooks -- so bye, bye Chrome, hello again IE.

mitchellvii

Here's something weird. Ever since I bought my SP3, my wifi router keeps crapping out (like 5 times a day) and I have to unplug and replug it to get it working again. Probably completely unrelated but an odd coincidence.

malberttoo

Hope Microsoft fixes the wifi issue soon, but the insanely quick restart does blunt the damage.

My only other issue with this incredible device has nothing to do with Microsoft. I am used to Chrome and it doesn't work with the Surface. The issue seems to be that Google doesn't recognize there is such a thing as a tablet that can also be a notebook. Any touch on an editable field to place the cursor brings up the stupid on-screen keyboard -- sure you can totally disable the on-screen keyboard, but that kills the whole "rip off the keyboard and have a tablet" experience. I'm betting it is Google's scud missile against the competition to the Chromebooks -- so bye, bye Chrome, hello again IE.

Hi Tom, welcome!

I am a heavy Chrome user on my workstation at work and was at home on my ThinkPad before the SP3. But the experience on the SP3 with Chrome was so lousy that I now only use Metro IE on the SP3. But I am very happy about that, because I've discovered what a great browser Metro IE is!

gdir

I haven't got a single problem with my Wifi so far. I'm using 802.11n on the 5 GHz band with FritzBox 7390 and 3370 as access points.

I haven't seen that on Chrome 39 64-bit from the dev channel. When the type cover is attached, the onscreen keyboard does not come up. I'm running Chrome in desktop mode. I haven't tested it's Metro mode.

ScottyS

What is your point in defending this? My sp3 has all the updates on it.

Still has issues with Bluetooth and WiFi.

Pen has to constantly be paired again etc.

This is why surface gets a bad rap. These things should just work out of the box.

If the end user has to tweak his router / nic / surface pro 3 etc to fix this then Microsoft is to blame here.
Agree MS is to blame and it costs them. I took my SP3 back for those two reasons. I told them the WiFi was a known issue and MS is supposed to release a fix in Sept. I shouldn't have mentioned that because the manager said if it was a known issue and a fix is planned she can't replace it for that (I'll never know if she knew that or was just saying it because I said so... they seem to know less about the product then we do; they didn't know the pen had 2 button batteries in addition to the AAAA battery).

So she addressed the pen Bluetooth issue by opening a new pen from a box. When that failed to maintain pairing she gave me a new SP3. I still have the same problems because it is not the hardware but the updates that caused the problems.

I wonder how many units MS stores have replaced, and how come problems that it seems thousands of users must have, have never even been heard of by workers in the MS store?