What's new

Will Leap Motion save Windows 8?

DOS

Still waiting on the Flying Car, I’ll keep you posted.

I thought the video said the Leap Device was going to release on May 13?

The video shows that you can use it for clay modeling, to play with fish, and to play a game. Doesn’t that classify this as a toy?

pallentx

Touch is dying, air gesture is the future. I have spoken, sit and be amazed as it comes true.
I think you very well may be right, but I don't think Leap has it ready yet. Touch will be around for a long while, and like the mouse and keyboard, will never go away. I also don't think Windows 8 needs to be "saved". Time and gradual tweaks as it matures will take care of things.

DOS

Wow, that was disappointing... I guess the question now is; Should I wait for air gestures to take over the world? Or perhaps, wait for pigs to fly?

Well, maybe flying pigs isn't that good of an idea. I mean, look at the mess bird droppings make... ;)

Hmmm... Now that I think about it, I guess oil leaks on a flying car wouldn't be that great either. Or worse yet, your drunk passenger who hangs his head out the window to barf... Yep, flying cars need more consideration. ;)

T3Jn

Touch works great on the pro in tablet mode. The pro is great as a single screen device, where Win 8 really does excel. However it really sucks on multi screen desktops, I know it's not everyone and people are probably getting sick of me saying this here, but it really does not work for devs. Touch will never replace keyboard shortcuts, and the speed with which we can navigate our environment with keyboard and mouse.

I am actually going to be rolling back my desktop to Win7 even though I love Win8 on my Pro. I was hoping the return of the start button and the boot to desktop in Blue would fix my gripes - but it turns out (I hope this changes/I am wrong) but the start button only takes the user to the start screen. I don't want to loose my focus on the screen when I hit the start button to launch another app.

I could understand this decision if the 3 platforms were using the same technology (Mobile/RT/Win 8) and we could easily dev cross platform, but we can't, therefore I just don't get why desktop is being forced this way.

Anyway, rant over - back to the original post, is this not just a Kinect?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Touch works great on the pro in tablet mode. The pro is great as a single screen device, where Win 8 really does excel. However it really sucks on multi screen desktops, I know it's not everyone and people are probably getting sick of me saying this here, but it really does not work for devs. Touch will never replace keyboard shortcuts, and the speed with which we can navigate our environment with keyboard and mouse.

I am actually going to be rolling back my desktop to Win7 even though I love Win8 on my Pro. I was hoping the return of the start button and the boot to desktop in Blue would fix my gripes - but it turns out (I hope this changes/I am wrong) but the start button only takes the user to the start screen. I don't want to loose my focus on the screen when I hit the start button to launch another app.

I could understand this decision if the 3 platforms were using the same technology (Mobile/RT/Win 8) and we could easily dev cross platform, but we can't, therefore I just don't get why desktop is being forced this way.

Anyway, rant over - back to the original post, is this not just a Kinect?

Dude just download Start8 from Stardock. Puts your Start Button back just like Windows 7.

Get the Start menu back with Start8?!

No, this is much much more advanced and sensitive than Kinect.

T3Jn

Dude - I have been using Start IS Back, same concept. But really I should not have to. And I'm not the only one that feels this way, hence the MS U-Turn.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Dude - I have been using Start IS Back, same concept. But really I should not have to. And I'm not the only one that feels this way, hence the MS U-Turn.

Well I've gotten a lot of grief in here from the MS fanboys for being critical of the Windows 8 rollout. Turns out from what I am reading about Windows Blue (8.1) MS pretty much agrees with me on every point. We'll see. If they simply Band-aid the Start Button and have it take you to the Modern UI Start Screen there is gonna be trouble. The issue is that mouse users DO NOT WANT TO GO TO MODERN UI UNLESS THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO. Being forced to flip back and forth between Desktop and Modern UI is annoying and confusing to the typical user.

The key to Windows 8.1 success or failure will be OPTIONS. Will MS give the user options as to the experience they prefer or will they treat us like children and force us into the experience they have chosen for us? Windows 8.1 will be an inflection point. Will it continue to be an arranged marriage or will MS trust us to fall in love on our own?