What's new

Will SB driver issues ever be resolved?

BearFlag

My SB is more stable now with the firmware updates, but I still got the BSOD when I detached the screen after booting up yesterday. I also still get the intel driver issue when using Edge, but it's less common then when I first got the device.

Do you guys think that MS can ever resolve these driver issues such that they never happen? I never got a BSOD on my SP3, but I bought it 4months after release so I don't know if it had similar issues when it was first released.

I saw over on Surface Reddit that there was a beta launch for new Intel drivers, so I think they are trying to get new drivers out soon. But I would not download those beta drivers, they have a lot of known issues.

Wayne Orwig

My BSOD crashes on screen detach have basically gone away after the updates. I also did a fresh reload.
I do have one Java based app that I run that encounters the display crash.
Other then that, I'm pretty stable finally.

protip

My optimism in seeing an eventual solution to my Surface Book problems (which are principally related to the dock) is all over the map depending on my mood.

At times I feel like it hasn't actually improved at all since day one, because in terms of my day to day usage, it's the same: I still cannot power two 4K monitors concurrently, which means I have a second 4K monitor sitting on my desk collecting dust.

But then, I do acknowledge that there has been progress on some fronts. Seemingly routine firmware updates are promising. None yet are covering issues that I personally have dealt with. But seeing regular updates suggests that perhaps there will be an update that provides the two 4K monitors support that Microsoft promised.

Then there are unrelated software updates to Windows 10. Maybe some day Windows 10's DPI scaling won't be so clunky.

Sometimes I just want Microsoft to at least acknowledge the problems and give us some idea of whether they will ever be fixed, and if so, an approximate time frame.