What's new

Will SP2 get the Windows 9 ??

Since Windows 9 is expected to be released , just a shout out question , is there any news of Win 9 supporting SP2 ? and the upgrade being free like the win 8 to 8.1 ??

bryanbreguet

I'm sure it'll be compatible. Windows is usually quite good at that. Like right now, you can install Win 8 on a machine that is 5-6 years old without a problem (except sometimes some driver issues). So I fully expect to see Win 9 on my SP2.

After that, I'm pretty sure it won't be free. They might offer us a cheap, early-adopter kind of upgrade at a special price. But not 100% free. The current updates are free mostly for two reasons:

1) they ar emostly service packs who have traditonnally be free
2) I think MS is just fixing the mistakes they made with the original Win 8.

GoodBytes

Since Windows 9 is expected to be released , just a shout out question , is there any news of Win 9 supporting SP2 ? and the upgrade being free like the win 8 to 8.1 ??

Unless Microsoft decides to change things at the kernel level, all Windows 8 drivers would work under Windows 9 without any issue.
So assuming that Windows 9 won't be supported on the Surface Pro 2, and assuming the above point, it should be working fine.

The reality of things is that unless Microsoft just changed (I doubt it), Microsoft will provide full support for Windows 9 on the Surface Pro 2. Microsoft has a history log and reputation of doing so, especially that the Surface Pro 2 is PC hardware "and nothing special", I would highly doubt it to not work. I got Windows 8.1 Update 1 installed on my 5 year laptop, where when I got it, Windows 7 was not out. It was running on Vista. I recall the days of Zune, where Microsoft continued to support the very old Zune models previously released, and continues to add features to them.

So, I would be really surprised if Windows 9 would not work on it. Maybe the public beta version might have missing drivers (which is normal.. manufactures will at work then), but the official release should be fine.

Microsoft is looking like they are offering discount to early adapters as well. Windows 7 got 50% discount for the Pro, and Home Premium got 60% off. Windows 8 Update was 40$. So, perhaps, Windows 9 will have similar special at release, so look out for that.
The upgrade would definitively not be free, unless Microsoft does a massive change of direction on how to get profitable, I doubt it.

Windows 8.1, and 8.1 Update 1 were free for Windows 8 users because Microsoft changed. It used to be that every 3 years you had an update of Windows (XP the exception where it lasted 6 years due to delays of Longhorn project (Vista)). However, with the rapid rate of other OS, and the technology world we are in, Microsoft, to stay relevant have now changed to offer yearly update. So, it is a new Windows every 3 years, and a free sub version update every year, and sub sub version (like Update 1), earlier.
It has nothing to do with Microsoft fixing mistakes.. well maybe the sub sub version (Update 1), but not 8.1.

Service Packs doesn't and never did traditionally offer a wide range of new features. They were just a large set of bug fixes and minor GUI improvements, and a grouping of old updates packages put together to make your life much easier when comes installing or re-installing Windows on a system.

kundas1

If the early pics I've seen are an indication of what win 9 will look like, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole!

GoodBytes

If the early pics I've seen are an indication of what win 9 will look like, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole!
I know people said the same with XP and Windows 7. Then it gets released, people complain like no tomorrow, and then by the time a new Windows comes out, they say how that previous version was "the best Windows EVAAARR!!!".
Rinse and repeat.

Also, you have not seen Windows 9. They are no leaks about it.

Last edited:

kundas1

Sorry but someone posted pics on here of what windows 9 will look like (dunno if it's legit) and it looked like a kids kindergarten computer! lol

CrippsCorner

Microsoft themselves have shown the future of Windows... but I believe atm it hasn't been confirmed if the new features are going to be Windows 9, or simply an update for Windows 8.

Arizona Willie

The Surface is a full computer just like a desktop, only crammed into a small container.
Changing operating system will be as straight forward as it would be to upgrade a desktop.
NO PROBLEM AT ALL.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 9 is Threshold, which unifies all of the OS Properties (Phone, ARM Client, x86/x64, Xbox). The only confirmed feature is Windowed WinRT Apps for Desktop. Other pieces of note, Microsoft Research is adding their Cloud Integration Projects making it the first MS Cloud Client OS.

Rumored to have 3 SKUs:

Windows Enterprise
Windows Pro
Windows

GoodBytes

Microsoft themselves have shown the future of Windows... but I believe atm it hasn't been confirmed if the new features are going to be Windows 9, or simply an update for Windows 8.

Probably fake. Usually Microsoft keep GUI changes last.
In addition, Microsoft experiments on GUI changes as well, so assuming it is a genuine leak, it may be not be like that, they are just trying with a rough draft and see how it works.

OP
S

stranger4all

Yes those pics should be fake , even it used to be though that maybe win 9 will not have desktop mode , so chill dude that's all fake. Win9 will be alot better then those pics.