What's new

Will SP4 Typecover fingerprint scanner work on SP3 w/W8.1?

sudermatt

I just got the SP4 Typecover with the fingerprint scanner. I want to stay on 8.1. can I get the fingerprint scanner to work?

Thanks in Advance
Matt

r0b123

I just got the SP4 Typecover with the fingerprint scanner. I want to stay on 8.1. can I get the fingerprint scanner to work?

Thanks in Advance
Matt

Curious, what's keeping you on 8.1? Win10 is a free upgrade and it allows you to use the Sp4 Type Cover w/fingerprint scanner. It's a lot quicker and IMHO better features and improved apps.

Yillbs

Curious, what's keeping you on 8.1? Win10 is a free upgrade and it allows you to use the Sp4 Type Cover w/fingerprint scanner. It's a lot quicker and IMHO better features and improved apps.
Honestly, I think many people say " I want to stay on windows 8.1, because they see others, or read reviews, and decided this. I'd also say 50-60% of the time, the people wanting to stay are very very unfamiliar with windows 10 outside of what they have read.

r0b123

@Yillbs - I understand. Fair question and totally get it, especially if there are older apps that might be incompatible on W10 or lack of drivers or maybe even support. I've noticed if it were enterprise or large companies, they have to wait for IT to roll out W10 after testing apps, drivers, etc.

If this is a personal system, taking extra precautions like backing up data, etc, it's worth the update to W10, SP4 typecover and more.

Yillbs

@Yillbs - I understand. Fair question and totally get it, especially if there are older apps that might be incompatible on W10 or lack of drivers or maybe even support. I've noticed if it were enterprise or large companies, they have to wait for IT to roll out W10 after testing apps, drivers, etc.

If this is a personal system, taking extra precautions like backing up data, etc, it's worth the update to W10, SP4 typecover and more.

I have 5 employee's on SP3's, and I was quite excited to get on the 10 bandwagon. I also just ordered 6 sp4 type covers with fingerprint, i'm quite stoked about testing that out! My point was, I wish people would TRY it before they judge it. That's all I was going for!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have 5 employee's on SP3's, and I was quite excited to get on the 10 bandwagon. I also just ordered 6 sp4 type covers with fingerprint, i'm quite stoked about testing that out! My point was, I wish people would TRY it before they judge it. That's all I was going for!

It's very easy to say that, but the reality is that it can be a complete pain to simply "try" due to downloading it, getting updates, and then the bigger issue, reverting. I upgraded a system to 10 to see how it ran, and it didn't play ball, absolutely nothing i did would get me back to 8.1. Microsoft wanted me to then download a 10gb recovery image. In a different experience, a friend just initiated the upgrade, before he knew it, his S3 was bricked, and had to download a 10gb image.

A lot of people are not trying because it can prove to be a complete PITA.

Yillbs

It's very easy to say that, but the reality is that it can be a complete pain to simply "try" due to downloading it, getting updates, and then the bigger issue, reverting. I upgraded a system to 10 to see how it ran, and it didn't play ball, absolutely nothing i did would get me back to 8.1. Microsoft wanted me to then download a 10gb recovery image. In a different experience, a friend just initiated the upgrade, before he knew it, his S3 was bricked, and had to download a 10gb image.

A lot of people are not trying because it can prove to be a complete PITA.

I can understand that. However, with the very easy, and very readily ways available to fire up a VM, I don't see an excuse to not know how windows 10 runs. Also, Not to sound like an A-Hole, but all the problems with updating are just plagued with the same M$ problems they have always had. We all know what they are, and yet, we continue to use Windows. We all, every time we turn on a windows device, take the chance of complete and utter failure. It's just the way it is with these guys.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, I think many people say " I want to stay on windows 8.1, because they see others, or read reviews, and decided this. I'd also say 50-60% of the time, the people wanting to stay are very very unfamiliar with windows 10 outside of what they have read.
I think a lot of people said they hated Windows 8/8.1 because of something they read on the Internet but if you have used both it's hard to imagine any doubt about remaining on 8.1 if you're not using the keyboard and mouse.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can understand that. However, with the very easy, and very readily ways available to fire up a VM, I don't see an excuse to not know how windows 10 runs. Also, Not to sound like an A-Hole, but all the problems with updating are just plagued with the same M$ problems they have always had. We all know what they are, and yet, we continue to use Windows. We all, every time we turn on a windows device, take the chance of complete and utter failure. It's just the way it is with these guys.

Why would average Joe dart about with VMs when they can just continue using an OS that works just fine for them? I know more than average Joe and I wouldn't waste my time with VMs for the sake of trying something, I'd just stick with the OS I had.

Not to mention downloading an I SO or recovery I SO is not an option for everyone. You'd be surprised to learn that not everyone has fiber broadband. Many of us are still plugging along at 2mbps or less. Microsoft told me to download an I SO when testing 10 ruined my device, my only option was to send the thing back.

People are not trying it because they see no reason to. Who cares if 10 is free when 7/8 work just fine for them. If it wasn't for having a touch screen device, I would still be on 7, as I am on my main PC, and see no reason why I should upgrade it.

Grumpy2

Well I am a normod. I know nothing about computers or computing. I have two Win 7 computers which I have not upgraded to Win 10 because they have Win Media Centre installed which I use regularly. This feature is not on Win 10 so why should I DOWNGRADE to Win 10. Also I have not upgraded/downgraded my SP3 to Win 10 because the upgrade has not been offered to me. I thought Microsoft was going to make the Win 10 upgrade available to everyone after late July 2015. Well here we are in late January 2016 and I still have not had it offered to me. And I do not intend to go searching the MS website and download the file and install it my self. Too much trouble. Besides "if it is not broken then why fix it". Obviously Yillbs is an IT professional who lacks any form of common sense because he cannot understand why people do not upgrade to Win 10. Obviously this person "cannot see the wood for the trees". I am not computer literate and do not even know what a VM is. So I would say to Yillbs please think before you post. We are not all IT people like you.