What's new

Will SP4 Typecover fingerprint scanner work on SP3 w/W8.1?

Chris Stephen

In response to Yillbs. I tried out Windows 10 on my SP3 back in July when it was first released for a month and found Windows 10 to be a huge step backwards when using my Surface as a tablet. I mainly use my surface as a tablet. For example, i'd like to be able to swipe web pages back and forward in Windows 10 like I'm able to in Windows 8.1 using the MUI version of IE and I can't!

I left lot's of feedback for Microsoft using Windows Feedback, but it fell on deaf ears. It's still not available today.

These touch features and gestures that were put into Windows 8.1 in tablet mode should have been ported into Windows 10 and left as an option for users who want them, especially for use in tablet mode. Instead, Microsoft chose to leave them out completely and appease all the desktop users complaining about the MUI interface of Windows 8.1.

Don't get me wrong. I like Windows 10. I just prefer Windows 8.1 on my Surface because of the Touch and gestures features that are missing in Windows 10.

This is one of the many reasons why I am running Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3.

On my gaming laptop and desktop, I run Windows 10.

Last edited:

DocACE911

I was never able to get the fingerprint to work in 8.1 - despite group policy etc. I upgraded to windows 10 and it magically worked.

I actually think the tablet mode is better on windows 8 :(