What's new

Will the i3 be enough for Office and browsing?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Get it at a Microsoft store, try it for yourself... if it doesn't work, return it within 30 days and get an I 5.

Len

I get 45 days to try it out at bestbuy so I would probably pick it up there. They also give me a $250 discount. I'd probably just exchange this Tab S for it if I do it. Will miss the Tab S incredible resolution and portability but I like having full office at my fingertips, especially if I want of use the pen to markup a resume (I'm a headhunter and I do that a lot). I can already do that on my laptop but its a 5 pound beast you wouldn't really use for web browsing on the sofa :) .

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Do you guys think the i3 will run cooler?

P.S. The lower memory is not an issue for me. Once I offload the recovery and hibernate I should have plenty of memory for what I need it for. My laptop has 128 gb and I barely use half of that even with lots of unnecessary stuff on there. Have a 64 gb sdcard I can drop in as well.

Thanks for the input. May still get the i5 out of safety but sounds like the i3 would do.

Last edited:

cajun456

I have the i3 and do web surfing, office, run some IT tools, and have not had any problems with it. I even use Outlook sometimes and have no problems.

fonzman78

;);)

Does it run cool for you?

Mitch, you seem so focused on getting the answer you want rather than what folks have already told you. What answer do you want and I will give it to you?

Yes, it runs hot.

No, it doesn't run hot.

You said you get 45 days at Best Buy. Go get one, test for yourself, and put this to rest.

drolem

If I'm going to be using this primarily as a tablet heat is a concern for me. Have bad memories of scorching my fingers on the original Surface Pro. I'm guessing the i3 will run a bit cooler.
While the SP3 seems to run somewhat cooler than the SP1 or SP2, if heat was an issue for you, you may want to wait for the next iteration which will use Broadwells. They will probably be released together with Win 9. And MS will probably fix most of the SP3 bugs by then, so there will be less to complain. ;)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Mitch, you seem so focused on getting the answer you want rather than what folks have already told you. What answer do you want and I will give it to you?

Yes, it runs hot.

No, it doesn't run hot.

You said you get 45 days at Best Buy. Go get one, test for yourself, and put this to rest.

Wow fonzman, you managed to be the only jerk in the room. Congratulations. Did you see that? Everyone was pleasant and helpful EXCEPT you. Well done.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

While the SP3 seems to run somewhat cooler than the SP1 or SP2, if heat was an issue for you, you may want to wait for the next iteration which will use Broadwells. They will probably be released together with Win 9. And MS will probably fix most of the SP3 bugs by then, so there will be less to complain. ;)

Yes have considered that as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

ipaq_101

The i3 would work well for what you mentioned.

My i5 rarely gets hot, people make it seem like you can cook an egg on it, I have only experienced a hot SP3 when viewing flash video, major updates, and that's about it.

The i3 would be the best option if you are concerned about heat.