What's new

Will the i3 be enough for Office and browsing?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I'm assuming that the graphics driver update will allow me to adjust gamma correct? I noticed the store model didn't have the advanced color features available.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Thanks everyone for your input. I think based upon the heat issue I've decided to go with the i3 model unless I have an epiphany to the contrary. :)

nnthemperor

Get the i3 dude. That's what I got. pretty smooth no problems as in getting too warm or choking. I'm posting this message from Tappatalk in DuOS running Android in windows and the machine is as cool as it can get, no fan noise. That's how powerful the i3 is.

FlySwatter

As long as you are confident in being able to manage your data with only 64GB of hard drive space (and the expandable MicroSD slot), then there is nothing to keep you from going the I3 route and saving yourself some money. An I3 will run office, including Access, handily. We have about 50,000 computers in our organization, and although they are desktops, they are almost exclusively I3 processors, running full office suite, and while not everyone runs Access, many do.

Honestly, space is the only concern I personally would have, and if that's not a concern for you, then I'd suggest you take the plunge.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Yeah. Its funny, because when I read online reviews from customers it seems like the i3 model is getting better overall reviews with fewer claims of bugginess. I can guess at the possibility that the i5 is a bit overpowered for this thin profile perhaps? Or maybe since they had a few more months to get the i3 ready they worked out some issues? Dunno, just guessing.

And hell that $200 or so I'm saving just about pays for a new Moto 360 :)

The space is a non issue. I can offload any media files to the sdcard or cloud and all of my apps will easily squeeze onto the 64 gb ssd. Basically just browser, Office, Photoshop, Flash Professional and Sharepoint designer. I don't game on a tablet at all.

fonzman78

Wow fonzman, you managed to be the only jerk in the room. Congratulations. Did you see that? Everyone was pleasant and helpful EXCEPT you. Well done.

Jerk?? Ouch!!! But, well said. Good luck with your SP3 i3. Now you will be able to test and see if it works for you. If not, then the i5 will be waiting for you. Either way, you should enjoy the SP3.

Fast-T

Basically just browser, Office, Photoshop, Flash Professional and Sharepoint designer. .

4 things:

1. Photoshop, the office suite, SP designer and all the little programs may easily eat up the space you have available.
2. Moving the recovery is a bad idea as ultra-mobile pc's such as the SP3 may just run into trouble while you are on the road and you noticed you didn't pack the recovery drive. Consider running into the next interview (you mentioned being a headhunter) your last driver update failed, the pc is screwed and you cannot do a refresh ... spending a 200$ will give you more room for the next point and enable you to run what is mentioned in point 4.
3. Once you figure out how productive and flexible you are on a surface (i got you are a surface virgin?) you will likely explore more things you could not do before and get other apps installed like a video editor or you realize how convenient it is to carry your entire photo library to show your latest hide away impressions to your colleagues. A 64 GB is full quite quickly. Also the extension via SD is running full quite easily.
4. Photoshop needs resources. while a i3 is a reasonable choice for low end applications and office, you should really get a i5when dealing with Photoshop. Also, as mentioned before: while you start using your SP3 you'll likely fall in love with it and find new things you did not do before on a tablet. Don't limit yourself from the beginning and spend the additional dollars. You won't regret it. I was in the same position and luckily i have chosen the i5. This became my primary PC within two weeks. I bought it as a laptop and office tablet replacement. The thing basically changed the way i work. It is amazing. Now i am using it for photo and video editing at home while I do access and sharepoint programming at work, MS project and marketing tasks. One note is my primary meeting notebook and Idea pool. I do mind mapping with my boss every Friday using the touch screen and a screen mirror to the projector. All things where I have used multiple devices before. (this brings be back to the recovery never being separated ... just in case)

guess what I am thinking looking back? I am glad I was spending a little more money.

drolem

Yeah. Its funny, because when I read online reviews from customers it seems like the i3 model is getting better overall reviews with fewer claims of bugginess. I can guess at the possibility that the i5 is a bit overpowered for this thin profile perhaps? Or maybe since they had a few more months to get the i3 ready they worked out some issues? Dunno, just guessing.

The SP3s are running identical firmware, and aside from the obvious (CPU / memory / SSD) , the hardware is also pretty much identical, so I have a hard time believing that the i5 or i7 models would be more buggy. One other HW difference I'm aware of is a different fan for the i7 models, but that shouldn't have much effect on the usual bugs.

IMHO, what probably happening is that people who paid more for the more expensive devices are more picky about the SP3's flaws, which is understandable to some degree.

kristalsoldier

The SP3s are running identical firmware, and aside from the obvious (CPU / memory / SSD) , the hardware is also pretty much identical, so I have a hard time believing that the i5 or i7 models would be more buggy. One other HW difference I'm aware of is a different fan for the i7 models, but that shouldn't have much effect on the usual bugs.

IMHO, what probably happening is that people who paid more for the more expensive devices are more picky about the SP3's flaws, which is understandable to some degree.

True! Except that I can't seem to find any fault with the i5 that I am running - at least as of now. It is performing brilliantly. And, while I do take care of the device in the sense that I do not handle it in a rough manner, I do use it very hard for 10-12 hours a day!

FlySwatter

The space is a non issue. I can offload any media files to the sdcard or cloud and all of my apps will easily squeeze onto the 64 gb ssd. Basically just browser, Office, Photoshop, Flash Professional and Sharepoint designer. I don't game on a tablet at all.
Ah, new information here. Previously, you only mentioned Office and browsing. Just as I was about to make another post to fully embrace your decision to go with the I3 (right up until I saw that highlighted line above), I now find myself in agreement kristalsoldier immediately above me. I feel you will be both space and processor constrained if you are going to be using Photoshop on the I3. I don't know enough about Flash Professional and Sharepint Designer, but I have similar concerns about all of them concurrently on the same machine with a 64GB hard drive and the smaller processor. I now change my recommendation to the I5/128GB minimally.

Liam2349

Anandtech said the i3 gave better battery life when doing light browsing in Metro IE, and worse battery life in the desktop.