What's new

will there be a Surface 4 (non-Pro)

mtalinm

(Sorry if this has been discussed.)

I tend to think not, but I'm hopeful.

Surface 3 is such a wonderful machine, iPad-sized with full Windows capabilities.

I do however crave the SP4-generation keyboard, and I'm sure they can get a non-Pro device thinner than the SP4. I would even give up some battery life for that.

My guess however is that S3 has sold poorly enough that it will be the last of its breed; Panos & Co. will focus on Surface Book 2.

Plantje

I really hope they will at some point deliver a Surface 4! Same as you I am very happy with my Surface 3. I have an LTE equipped variant and that's really great as well!

If they do I would really love to see a SP4-like keyboard. Some Windows Hello (both camera and fingerprint) would be nice as well. For the rest: nothing too fancy please! Just make it thinner, lighter and expand battery life. No need for faster CPU. Just stay in that iPad Air 2/iPad Pro 9.7 area!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
A few weeks ago Paul T. talked about the Surface 4 was being field tested by some of MS's enterprise customers...will it come to market? We will see, the Mini was field tested as well...

Plantje

Agreed, but the mini was a new form factor. The Surface 4 will be more of the same.

By the way: Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of that

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have a reference for the poor sales of the S3? I'm in education, and there is far more interest in those than the pro due to the price.

jrioux

(Sorry if this has been discussed.)

I tend to think not, but I'm hopeful.

Surface 3 is such a wonderful machine, iPad-sized with full Windows capabilities.

I do however crave the SP4-generation keyboard, and I'm sure they can get a non-Pro device thinner than the SP4. I would even give up some battery life for that.

My guess however is that S3 has sold poorly enough that it will be the last of its breed; Panos & Co. will focus on Surface Book 2.
I was wondering whether the current S3 sale was due to the S4 coming out or just because of competition.

IMHO, it will be difficult to sell many S4s for $500 or more unless it has 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage plus its other premium features and specs. The bottom of the market is filled with lower cost products that are similar but have lower specs. The S4 needs to remain the best of class while still offering good value.

For example, the Asus T100HA offers 4GB & 64GB plus the keyboard for only $300. It has a slower CPU and lower screen resolution, but it's half the price of the S3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering whether the current S3 sale was due to the S4 coming out or just because of competition.

IMHO, it will be difficult to sell many S4s for $500 or more unless it has 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage plus its other premium features and specs. The bottom of the market is filled with lower cost products that are similar but have lower specs. The S4 needs to remain the best of class while still offering good value.

For example, the Asus T100HA offers 4GB & 64GB plus the keyboard for only $300. It has a slower CPU and lower screen resolution, but it's half the price of the S3.
Slower CPU, lower resolution screen it could sell for 10 dollars, it just doesn't matter, people that would buy it would never spend 4-500 or more, ever, or they are buying an ancillary unit for a specific purpose (i.e. bathroom tablet - I shit you not)
Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr are typically slow times for computer purchases everybody is hunkered down licking their wounds from over spending at the year end. Computer sales during this time are so they don't show a goose egg for numbers. ;)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slower CPU, lower resolution screen it could sell for 10 dollars, it just doesn't matter, people that would buy it would never spend 4-500 or more, ever, or they are buying an ancillary unit for a specific purpose (i.e. bathroom tablet - I shit you not)
Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr are typically slow times for computer purchases everybody is hunkered down licking their wounds from over spending at the year end. Computer sales during this time are so they don't show a goose egg for numbers. ;)

Exactly. It is little different to saying why would anyone buy an ipad when they can buy a 10" tablet from china for a fifth of the price.

This summer, I will buy something in that size and form factor. If a Surface 4 is available, that's what I'll get. If not I'll get the Google Pixel C. (Either way, I'm keeping the Surface Pro 4).

jrioux

Slower CPU, lower resolution screen it could sell for 10 dollars, it just doesn't matter, people that would buy it would never spend 4-500 or more, ever, or they are buying an ancillary unit for a specific purpose... ;)
Then who buys S3s? Is anyone? And, who buys the other Atom x5 and x7 computers that are priced between $300 and $600?