What's new

Will this work?

HvT

SP3 does only 30Hz at 4K resolution. Challenging for office work and photo editing.
But 4K at 30Hz works.

2560x1600 is the max you can get at 60Hz. With an i5 or i7 model perhaps the next higher res, but not 4K.

That's the reason why I decided for the Dell U3014 earlier this year. 2560x1600 is enough for me - office and photos. That monitor works like a charm on the SP3, at 60Hz. No flickering and brilliant colors.

OP
T

thefollans

SP3 does only 30Hz at 4K resolution. Challenging for office work and photo editing.
But 4K at 30Hz works.

2560x1600 is the max you can get at 60Hz. With an i5 or i7 model perhaps the next higher res, but not 4K.

That's the reason why I decided for the Dell U3014 earlier this year. 2560x1600 is enough for me - office and photos. That monitor works like a charm on the SP3, at 60Hz. No flickering and brilliant colors.

HvT - so what does that mean in regards to photo editing? I am using Lightroom and Photoshop a lot. editing (not video) images at 30Hz means what?

Will the screen flicker, images not sharp etc... ???

surfdock

SP3 i5 and i7 models will support one external 4K monitor at 60Hz via DisplayPort connection according to the reddit AMA a few months back. You are limited in resolution and/or refresh rate if you connect two monitors simultaneously.

If you opt to connect a 4K monitor by HDMI or set to 30Hz, the mouse response/feedback is a little odd. To me its really quite annoying, others say its fine. Read the reviews of the Seiki 39" monitor for desktop use to get a sense of the 30Hz. For movies everything looks fine at 30Hz.

Rather than the $1000 Dell, I would get the $600 Asus monitor:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/out-to-a-4k-display.11306

OP
T

thefollans

Thanks for the info and link Surfdock. So I can run a 4k monitor at full res with 60mhz with the i7. Good to know. I only plan on running one monitor anyway, so might as well be a 4k one right ;)

Will check out the ASUS one.