What's new

Will Win10tp activate for free once it is released if i wipe my Win8 drive?

Octodonk

Hi guys,

I'm loving windows 10 a lot and no longer use 8 on my Surface, opting to boot into 10 everytime now.

So my question is, if I wipe my windows 8 partition on the drive will I still get to continue using 10 for free when it's released? Or do i have to directly update my 8 partition?

leeshor

I'm pretty certain you would need to update 8.1. Pre-releases have never been upgradable to the final release. At least not in the past.

OP
O

Octodonk

I thought that too, but it looks like MS have already started offering an in-place upgrade for Windows 7&8 to the current build of 10. Which suggests to me that perhaps preview will be upgraded to release.

Though, can't be sure.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are nine months from release give or take... but they announced the plan for upgrades, if it wasn't included its excluded.

When Microsoft speaks you have to pay as much if not more attention to what they don't say.

leeshor

I thought that too, but it looks like MS have already started offering an in-place upgrade for Windows 7&8 to the current build of 10. Which suggests to me that perhaps preview will be upgraded to release.

Though, can't be sure.
Can you cite that from a Microsoft site?

leeshor

The point I made is that nobody has ever been able to do an inplace upgrade from a preview or a beta to the final version. That would mean you would need to have your 8.1 installed to upgrade to the FINAL Windows 10.

OP
O

Octodonk

Yes I understand that. Which is why the fact that they're offering an upgrade already with the link above is extremely odd if that is still the case.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The current plan is to allow for you to be able to upgrade from pre-release builds to RTM for Windows Insider Members. They are using the term "Flighting" which is built on the earlier upgrade technology used with Enterprise Deployments known as Hard-linking. Now originally we were told the same thing with Phone 8.1 Preview's, but they ran into a show stopper.

leeshor

The current plan is to allow for you to be able to upgrade from pre-release builds to RTM for Windows Insider Members. They are using the term "Flighting" which is built on the earlier upgrade technology used with Enterprise Deployments known as Hard-linking. Now originally we were told the same thing with Phone 8.1 Preview's, but they ran into a show stopper.
Now you have ME confused. ;)

leeshor

Meaning right now the plan is to allow you to update from Pre-release to RTM but YMMV ;)
I assume you mean an in-place upgrade. I don't ever remember seeing that before, only a final version to a newer version. Interesting!