What's new

Will you go MS all the way to phone if you already have surface book?

Migi

No, I will not consider Windows Mobile even if it's a Surface Phone until the app gap is addressed. Until then I'm on iPhone & Android.

Everyone agrees that they have the best camera module out there, but that isn't good enough. Windows Hello looks great too, but once again, need the apps and mobile payments(Microsoft Pay!).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said it before I'll say it again with all the billions they poured into making hardware and OS's just spend a billion and buy the apps. i.e. pay the developers to build and maintain quality apps. Not just one and done, pay them to keep it fresh and competitive with other apps.

Migi

I said it before I'll say it again with all the billions they poured into making hardware and OS's just spend a billion and buy the apps. i.e. pay the developers to build and maintain quality apps. Not just one and done, pay them to keep it fresh and competitive with other apps.

Sorry but that's not how it works.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry but that's not how it works.
Obviously you cannot think out of the box. The story is, they wont make apps because there's not enough users... bottom line is money. So. Take the money out of the equation. Or are you saying they don't want the money and they are just stubborn liars.

Kris

I will buy a Windows phone when it can run full Windows on it and I don't just have to rely on their app store. For now I'm with Android and have a lot invested in it, including MS apps. I hate "apps" and their limitations, I want full fledged programs.

Tsurugaya

Other problem is if you already spent some $$ or $$$$ on iOS or Android Apps - why to pay again?
This is certainly an issue for individual users, maybe not so much for corporate budgets. I've always been surprised that Apple or Google, and now Microsoft, doesn't offer users that switch over to their platform free apps for a month. That way you could get all the apps you already own. Or even a one for one switch.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh?

To work and to play? Without apps, devices are useless ...

How is that relevant? There are a billion and one apps out there completely free. Most all paid apps i've come across have a perfectly capable free alternative.

Personally i don't work or play on a phone. That is what my computers and consoles are for. My device has proven anything but useless. It makes phone calls, sends messages, plays music, takes photo's (depends if you consider a stock and mandatory application an app, to me that is just core functionality and is baked in as standard)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I your case, why do you need smartphone?

Because there are not many feature phones that take good photo's or allow me to efficiently compose long messages on the go. Or perhaps because it is my only form of internet so is rather important. Since when was there a prerequisite to buy apps and play candycrush if you have a smartphone? Smartphones are useful for more than wasting some time on the bus. I have many uses for my phone but apps are not one of them (other than as previously mentioned, natwest and viber, which are available on all of the mobiles platforms free of charge).

This is all a bit of a tangent though. I was simply stating that there is no requirement to invest in an ecosystem, you can get along perfectly fine without spending a penny and as such change platform without any financial implication.