What's new

Win 10 and OneDrive

kristalsoldier

Hi folks...

For those of you who are now using the latest W10 release, which is either supposed to be the RTM version or one very close to it, could you please describe what - if any - are changes that have taken place in how OneDrive works as compared to how it (OneDrive) worked in W8/ 8.1?

From what I dimly recall, there was some talk of doing away with the "off-line" capability etc. - or something to that effect - and replacing it with some other system. There is a thread in this forum on this topic (http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/windows-10-and-location-of-onedrive.13629/) and there is a link in that thread to a discussion about this here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/2755b4a9-10da-4ee7-8185-33aeef7e3f3e?auth=1

Are there any changes to how OneDrive works in W10?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

malberttoo

Hi folks...

For those of you who are now using the latest W10 release, which is either supposed to be the RTM version or one very close to it, could you please describe what - if any - are changes that have taken place in how OneDrive works as compared to how it (OneDrive) worked in W8/ 8.1?

From what I dimly recall, there was some talk of doing away with the "off-line" capability etc. - or something to that effect - and replacing it with some other system. There is a thread in this forum on this topic (http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/windows-10-and-location-of-onedrive.13629/) and there is a link in that thread to a discussion about this here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/2755b4a9-10da-4ee7-8185-33aeef7e3f3e?auth=1

Are there any changes to how OneDrive works in W10?

Thanks in advance.

I'm on the latest Win 10 build. I'm not as heavy a OD user as you are, but do have a good deal of content stashed there and I access it frequently. I shut my WiFi off just now, and had no issues getting to my content. I did get a notification that popped up that reminded me that I was off-line, and the date that the file was last synced.

I've noticed no difference in using OD since going to Win 10.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kristal - the biggest difference is that "Placeholders" are gone, so you only see the files and folders you've chose to be available offline. For me it is my Project Folder that I'm accessing all the time, the rest are available through the Web Client with a Universal App to follow.

I've been using Windows 10 since the first beta and have become used to it, but I miss seeing all of my OneDrive Content.

We are supposed to have some type of replacement for the placeholders by the end of the year.

ScottyS

Hi Kristal - the biggest difference is that "Placeholders" are gone, so you only see the files and folders you've chose to be available offline.

Why is it so hard for MS to do this right? It must be disturbing not to see what files you have stored online only when you're offline.

We are supposed to have some type of replacement for the placeholders by the end of the year.

Is it that hard to have icons greyed out (or some other indicator like a little "x" on the bottom of the icon) to indicate it's available online only when you're offline?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why is it so hard for MS to do this right? It must be disturbing not to see what files you have stored online only when you're offline.

Is it that hard to have icons greyed out (or some other indicator like a little "x" on the bottom of the icon) to indicate it's available online only when you're offline?
There are multiple issues at play here....

First - They are migrating OneDrive Consumer to the same sync engine as OneDrive for Business (which is the legacy of Groove running in SharePoint). The behavior then is the same we've had since the Groove Product in 2007.

Two - This change allows OneDrive Consumer can be HIPAA and US and EU Cloud Privacy and Security Certification.

Three - Most of the Support Calls and Usability Studies showed showing online only folders caused confusion and had a negative NSAT for users.

Four - The metadata required for the Placeholders took up too much space on 16GB Devices.

ScottyS

There are multiple issues at play here....

Two - This change allows OneDrive Consumer can be HIPAA and US and EU Cloud Privacy and Security Certification.
Yeah, our head of IT is also our HIPAA compliance officer (and the guy who first showed me a Surface and Win8) and since I work in healthcare this is BIG.

Three - Most of the Support Calls and Usability Studies showed showing online only folders caused confusion and had a negative NSAT for users.

Took me a while to find out NSAT didn't mean National Scholastic Aptitude Test;)

Four - The metadata required for the Placeholders took up too much space on 16GB Devices.
Never thought of that.
Thanks !

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, our head of IT is also our HIPAA compliance officer (and the guy who first showed me a Surface and Win8) and since I work in healthcare this is BIG.

Took me a while to find out NSAT didn't mean National Scholastic Aptitude Test;)

Never thought of that.
Thanks !
Sorry NSAT is "Net Satisfaction" Rating.....I need to remember that not everyone lives in my silly Technical Marketing world...

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I'm on the latest Win 10 build. I'm not as heavy a OD user as you are, but do have a good deal of content stashed there and I access it frequently. I shut my WiFi off just now, and had no issues getting to my content. I did get a notification that popped up that reminded me that I was off-line, and the date that the file was last synced.

I've noticed no difference in using OD since going to Win 10.

Right thanks!!! Though I am really not looking forward to any off-the-cuff changes to OneDrive - as you mentioned - I am quite dependent on it.