What's new

Win 10 any better at scaling? adobe photo programs are killing my eyes!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting possibility but it doesn't seem that's the direction we're headed given that Adobe has new versions that support hires screens. Additionally the app isolation model improves the security posture. As much as Desktop is wanted for business continuity and drug along; IMO, the writing is on the wall for traditional desktop apps no matter how long it takes to end their life. They can live on a low res screen or maybe App Virtualization will prop them up until they die.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Algorithm has been tweaked and scales better but Win32 Applications that use XP GDI Scaling will still be problematic.

Are you using Photoshop and if so is it an older version of PS or CC? With CC you can change the scaling by going to Select Preferences > Experimental Features > Select Scale UI 200% For High-Density Displays (Windows Only) > Restart Photoshop. The only problem I found with this is it greatly reduces the work area. I just use a mouse with the normal scaling and it works pretty good but I agree it's very tiny and hard to do detailed work.

OP
M

Mikewired

Solved my problem. I returned my sp3 and will wait to see maybe sp4 or win 10 scaling fixes? I got a new Macbook Pro 15 retina. I really wanted to make the sp3 work!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK....There are many scaling issues that can't be fixed unless Microsoft makes any Win32 Program that uses XP GDI Scaling an incompatible program and prevent it from installing (this means the majority of Adobe, Chrome, Firefox and all iTunes users). Your solution of moving to OSX works because Apple doesn't support backwards compatibility (they can do this as their user share is so small).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK....There are many scaling issues that can't be fixed unless Microsoft makes any Win32 Program that uses XP GDI Scaling an incompatible program and prevent it from installing (this means the majority of Adobe, Chrome, Firefox and all iTunes users). Your solution of moving to OSX works because Apple doesn't support backwards compatibility (they can do this as their user share is so small).
But there's a good reason for moving on, no?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If Microsoft killed off backwards compatibility on x86 people would come unglued....

Kif

Regardless of the complexity Microsoft needs to find a better path for high dpi support. High dpi screens are dropping in price and becoming readly available. Legacy support is a blessing and a curse for windows. I also curse whenever I try to read anything that isn't high dpi supported on my SP3 screen.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Regardless of the complexity Microsoft needs to find a better path for high dpi support. High dpi screens are dropping in price and becoming readly available. Legacy support is a blessing and a curse for windows. I also curse whenever I try to read anything that isn't high dpi supported on my SP3 screen.
The way to fix it is to use MUI Applications or Win32 Applications that use Vista Style Scaling. Microsoft will not break backwards compatibility on x86, they will improve it but it will never be fully fixed...

Microsoft cannot change other people's code who created it using legacy APIs and outdated code.

Kif

The way to fix it is to use MUI Applications or Win32 Applications that use Vista Style Scaling. Microsoft will not break backwards compatibility on x86, they will improve it but it will never be fully fixed...

Microsoft cannot change other people's code who created it using legacy APIs and outdated code.

My livelihood is based on getting outdated software to run on Windows boxes. So it's been great for my career. As a user though I really see it holding back the industry and ultimately could be Microsoft undoing. A non-technical person like my wife see a blurry application on my SP3 and says that looks horrible what's wrong with your laptop. Yes, she calls it a laptop. Maybe Microsoft could start defining resolutions that scale up in even multiples so things would scale up cleanly.