Solved Win 10 mail app??? Is it designed to make you break, give in and get outlook?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Book' started by maybethistime, Feb 6, 2016.

1. ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer Active Member

I find all of MS's 'metro' apps to be horrendous. They all seem to not work right.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Other
    Just to balance the arc of this thread, the only Win32 Applications I use on my Surface Devices is Office 365 Pro Plus (2016) and 7zip, everything else is a WinRT app and they work great.

3. surfacebookinuk

surfacebookinuk Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    With every update the calendar and mail app have become significantly better. Mail app in particular was a bit problematic but since the last update I literally have 0 complaints. Wish I could say the same for all the other Microsoft apps though..

4. SeanP

SeanP Member

I cannot figure out how to get my outlook to even work properly. We use Google Apps for business so it won't auto set up and configuring it has been a pain.

The ONLY reason I use Chrome on SB is due to the fact we have gmail addresses for work. I use a plugin that only works on Chrome for now.

Wish Google would figure out how to reduce the energy consumption of Chrome.

The Mail app itself isn't terrible but the problem I find is that for whatever reason, when I open mail on my phone, it doesn't register in the mail app until 15-20 min later and vise versa.

5. crp852

crp852 New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    As others, above, mention, I've found the Mail App significantly more stable and useful from recent builds (I'm on 10586 now).

But, the one thing that annoys me about Mail is that, unlike ANY other desktop email app I'm familiar with, if you're using a keyboard and are looking at the list of your emails, double-clicking on a particular message in Mail causes the "View message contents" pane to disappear.

Any other email app I've used, including Outlook and the web clients for hotmail, Outlook.com, Thunderbird, etc., if you double-click on a message in the message list view, the contents of that message are displayed.

It's minor, but aggravating, because Mail handles the action differently from any other email client.

crp

6. Wayne Orwig

Wayne Orwig Active Member

I thought it was just me. :)
    Often I click on an email to mark it as read, and it disappears instead. :mad:

7. TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast Active Member

I hardly use the Mail app. The issue with me is that, my Inbox (Outlook.com) can have three or so messages, but when I open the Mail app, there's a listing of email messages that are not even suppose to be in the Inbox. They've been deleted ages ago. Even if I sit through the syncing process, those email never go away from the Mail app's Inbox.

8. Orlbuckeye

Orlbuckeye Active Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    What type email account do you have? If you have POP3 the email is on the server and downloaded to your client when you log in. It stays on your server depending on your setting. IMAP the email is on the server and not downloaded to your client. You view the email on the server with the client. I'm guessing you have POP3.

9. ncameron

ncameron Member

Alternatively you could actually have an IMAP Outlook account and accidentally set it up under the POP3 protocol - what I did for the first day, and couldn't understand why it wasn't working properly. Doh. If so, just delete the account and kick it off properly.

10. TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast Active Member

I'm using whatever Outlook.com is based off of.

11. Orlbuckeye

Orlbuckeye Active Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Outlook.com is can be setup at POP3 or Imap.

Here are the setting. These setting are the same no matter what email client you are using.
    Outlook.com Mail Server Settings