What's new

Windows 10 Adoption is Surging and Obliterating Windows 8 and 8.1 in the Process

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
msw-win10-hero-slider-familiar.jpg

Not that this should come as a surprise, but Windows 10 is growing by leaps and bounds, and it is doing so primarily at the expense of Windows 8 and 8.1. According to the latest statistics, Windows 10 already accounts for over 3.5% of desktop operating systems in just a couple of weeks.

Windows 8 and 8.1 were the most reviled of all Microsoft OS (despite their being a few fans out there). It's because of this that Windows 10 is replacing those versions of Windows at a faster pace than any of the others. Here's a quote with a few more details from the analysis,

Microsoft probably won't mind StatCounter's numbers, as they say that in the week from August 3rd to 9th Windows 10 accounted for 3.55 per cent of desktop operating systems. StatCounter measures market share by counting the prevalence of operating systems hitting web servers, so is not entirely reliable, but is also one of the few independent indicators out there.

Windows 10's good week saw it jump from 1.36 per cent of the market in the week commencing July 27th. The biggest loser looks to be Windows 8.1, which dipped from 16.45 per cent share to 14.93 per cent. Windows 7 went from 54.41per cent to 53.8 per cent and Windows 8 dropped from 3.6 percent to 3.46 percent.

The astute among you will have noticed that there's a combined 2.27 per cent dip among Windows 7 to 8.1 and a 2.19 per cent increase for Windows 10.

A small dip for Windows Vista, down 0.05 per cent, and a tiny uptick over the two weeks – just 0.02 percent – for Windows XP round out the Windows story.

Sound off and let us know what you think. Here's our dedicated Windows 10 forum for further discussion: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forums/windows-10-forum.62/

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/09/windows_10_climbs_to_355_per_cent_market_share_win_81_dips/

CDG

I was one of the "few fans" of 8/8.1. I upgraded to 10 last Friday and loving it so far in spite of the unfinished nature in the tablet mode. :)

leeshor

I've had it on 3 systems in my office since the Preview started. I do like it, a lot. Never cared much for 8/8.1

Dunwa

I'd love to get that desktop wallpaper, but it looks to have never been released, image search on Google & bing strikes out.