What's new

Windows 10 and battery life

macmee

I've been using it for about an hour and 10 minutes, just browsing the web with 3 tabs open in Edge and I'm already down to 74%, 3 hours remaining.

Seems bad, no?

NeilG

I found the same until I used a Hosts file to block most of the advertising, the average CPU utilisation came down from <> 20% to single figures.

leeshor

Edge seems to have a serious problem with Flash, which is many of the ads, and maybe even Java.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The real problem is the marketing overlords who own the Internet, your computer, and your user experience have layered in so much tracking and advertising. This is who you should be afraid of not the NSA et al.

buckZor

I've noticed after in-place upgrade from 8.1 that the fans are always running now, even when the system is idle. This will obviously effect battery life.

NeilG

This is a good source for blocking hosts files -

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

They update it regularly although it seems that you need to comment out the lines that block Bing if you want Cortana to work.

Just replace the hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc I would rename the old hosts file first to preserve it in case you need it in the future.

Achristocat

I also recommend looking at (Start, Settings, Privacy - Scroll down to Background Apps) and there were 20 programs just clicking away in the background for...some reason? Why the hell does Sudoku need to run in the background? Amazon? Background wallpapers? Yeah...turned all of THOSE off and about 15 more...All that crap may have been sucking battery...

Just FYI, I have already gone back to W8.1 because of all of the Fan, Battery Life, and program crashing issues. I will be back when I know those have been addressed. I hope it's soon... :)

In Windows 8, the default behavior is to suspend those apps when not in the foreground except for apps that poll in the background. However, with Modern Apps in 8, the charms bar has a settings within the apps to allow background polling notifications or not. Since the charms bar is now gone in 10, it's now impossible to find the settings for Windows 10 apps that is only accessible via charms. Windows 10 will be equal or lower than 8.1 in battery life due to the default behavior of all apps can do background tasks.

smar

In Windows 8, the default behavior is to suspend those apps when not in the foreground except for apps that poll in the background. However, with Modern Apps in 8, the charms bar has a settings within the apps to allow background polling notifications or not. Since the charms bar is now gone in 10, it's now impossible to find the settings for Windows 10 apps that is only accessible via charms. Windows 10 will be equal or lower than 8.1 in battery life due to the default behavior of all apps can do background tasks.

You can still disable background for these apps via Settings/Battery Saver/Battery Use.

You can still disable background for these apps via Settings/Battery Saver/Battery Use.
It should've been disabled by default IMO. Microsoft is clearly intending Windows 10 for desktop use like how it is in Windows 7 and prior where all programs can run in the background and consume resources anytime.