What's new

Solved Windows 10 and VPN

ximoosea

RESOLVED (see post #4)

Sorry for starting a new thread but the other Win10 thread is getting so long and this is such a specific question.

After reading from several of you trailblazers that there was some problems with Cisco VPN, I decided to install Win 10 on my non-SP3 laptop. It is great. However, sure enough, my Cisco VPN (Cisco Systems VPN Client 5.0.07.0290) that I use for work will not connect.

In addition, I am currently on work assignment in China where they block Facebook, Youtube, etc. Thus, I have two personal VPNs....one from StrongVPN and one from VyprVPN. Neither of these will connect.

I have read everything I can find but nothing has fixed the problem. I know that Win10 will continue to have updates so can someone please post when these problems get resolved. Of course it is also possible that Microsoft will not be able to fix them and the OEMs will need to release new versions, but that could also take a while.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
OP
X

ximoosea

This one works for me: VPN Client Version 5.0.07.0440
Give it a try.
Sharpcolorado, thank you for your reply. I downloaded and installed VPN Client Version 5.0.07.0440 with no problems. However, it still gives the same error on the Win10 machine. It gives: Reason 442: Failed to enable virtual adapter.

Searches for this error indicate to rename an entry in the registry but that is for old versions of Cisco client and that entry is not present in my registry.

However, it is encouraging that you have it running on your SP3, thus it may be something specific with my non-SP3 machine (although it worked before the update)....thus maybe I will go ahead and try it on my SP3 this weekend. Thank you.

OP
X

ximoosea

RESOLVED

The following has resolved all of my issues with the 3 different VPNs.
1. Hit the start button and type "services.msc'
2. Locate and stop Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service;
3. Stop and disable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service;
4. Restart Cisco System, Inc. VPN Service.

This resolved the Cisco VPN issue and it works fine now.

The vyprVPN would also work, but only in OpenVPN mode, I still could not get it to work with L2TP or PPTP.

StrongVPN would still not work. However, instead of using their client program to start the VPN, I configured it manually through Network Connections and now that one also works.

Hope this can help others that may have the same problem.

mvalpreda

Use ShrewSoft VPN. It will import Cisco PCF files and works perfect on Windows 10. Cisco VPN client has crashed a few of my Windows 10 installs.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Another solution which works for many:

Change adapter settings, for the virtual adapter which VPN adds.
Adjust the IPv4 to choose IP address automatically rather than use a static address.