What's new

Windows 10 default save location

cldittus

Hello All!!!

I finally got Windows 10 installed earlier today, and I have been playing with it ever since. I will start by saying that I am loving this OS....(FYI I am on Surface Pro 3/i7/8g Ram/256g running Windows 10 Pro)

While checking out settings and getting everything personalized and set I ran into an issue.....

I went under Settings, clicked on system, then on storage....there are toggles there to change your default save location for new documents, pictures, videos and music to an alternative drive. I get two choices my C: drive and then my SD Card.
I change all of them to the SD card but once I close the window they reset back to the C: drive....I have tried multiple times but the change wont stick. I checked to make sure that the SD card is properly seated, and it is showing up in my file explorer menu....

If anybody else has this issue or knows of a fix could you please let me know? I would greatly appreciate any help!

Christi

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just tried changing my documents folder to my SD card and while it does not transfer the contents of the previous documents folder to the SD card, I saved a word document and it turned up under SD/username/documents

MAFW

Hello All!!!

I finally got Windows 10 installed earlier today, and I have been playing with it ever since. I will start by saying that I am loving this OS....(FYI I am on Surface Pro 3/i7/8g Ram/256g running Windows 10 Pro)

While checking out settings and getting everything personalized and set I ran into an issue.....

I went under Settings, clicked on system, then on storage....there are toggles there to change your default save location for new documents, pictures, videos and music to an alternative drive. I get two choices my C: drive and then my SD Card.
I change all of them to the SD card but once I close the window they reset back to the C: drive....I have tried multiple times but the change wont stick. I checked to make sure that the SD card is properly seated, and it is showing up in my file explorer menu....

If anybody else has this issue or knows of a fix could you please let me know? I would greatly appreciate any help!

Christi

Hello All!!!

Christi

MAFW

I have a similar problem setting a networked WDM MyCloud drive. I can find it on the network, but it does not show up on the dropdown menu. I'm using Surface Pro 3 and Windows 10

kwright

This really motivated my return to 8.1. I have a TB on One Drive and 10 endlessly tried to get this on my C drive. I was also unable to default save to One Drive.

kwright

Back on 8.1 on all of my computers. Was never able to stop the computer from trying to sync all of my Onedrive files to my hard drive. They would never load the list of files to sync allowing selection of the the files that I wanted to sync and the hard drive would fill quickly and then stop allowing me to use it.

I'm not sure what the solution is for this other than going back to 8.1. 8.1 has a much better Onedrive interface. 10....just doesn't have one.

Kris

Back on 8.1 on all of my computers. Was never able to stop the computer from trying to sync all of my Onedrive files to my hard drive. They would never load the list of files to sync allowing selection of the the files that I wanted to sync and the hard drive would fill quickly and then stop allowing me to use it.

I'm not sure what the solution is for this other than going back to 8.1. 8.1 has a much better Onedrive interface. 10....just doesn't have one.

This sounds like a bug I have installed Windows 10 on dozens of computers and every single one of them let me choose what folders to sync to my computer... for my SP3 I made my SD card a VHD, I think thats what its called, so I could sync OneDrive to it.