What's new

Windows 10. Love it or hate it?

TPadden

Yeah I read about alternatives but there's always some complaints. I know a lot of people here are anti-Apple but you can't deny their hardware is bullet proof; I bought the Trackpad for my girlfriends iMac and it's been faultless.

You can actually use the Trackpad on Windows but it loses many features.
2nd vote for Logitech's T650 - no complaints and I like it's functionality better than Apples's Magic Trackpad at 1/2 the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Rechargeable-Touchpad-Multi-Touch-Navigation/dp/B0093H4WT6

kwright

No pain going back. I had already deleted the restoration partition for 8.1 so I used the option for restore that is described as "use this if you are going to recycle your PC". When a screen presents the choice of erasing the TMP "American Megatrends" go ahead and erase it. I set the SP3 up as a new PC with my outlook address and everything was there except the software installed locally.

10 is great for non-touch screen users that don't utilize One Drive effectively. 8.1 is the OS for touchscreen users that use One Drive.

Kris

I really don't see the touch advantages of 8.1 over 10, maybe that's because I refused to us MUI apps. Windows 10 Works great for me in tablet mode or desktop mode for touch interface. I am having no issues that seem to be plaguing everyone else. The few issues that I had, I used simple registry hacks or alternate apps. Windows 10 is far from perfect but the more I use it the more I like it, for my desktop and my SP3. I also won't touch Edge with a ten foot poll, never used IE either. Firefox beta and Chrome beta both work wonderfully for me and always have. I am getting 6-7 hours of battery life on each charge. I may just be one of the lucky ones, when it comes to Windows 10. But it did take me 7 SP3s to get one that would stay connect to the WiFi...

I have W10 on my S3, and I am having random lock-ups. Totally freezing in that I have to press and hold the on/off button, then perform a restart, which now is followed by a scan in case of any corruption.

I can't connect to my wireless printer, but my desktop (W10/Ubuntu) can whe on W10. I was able to connect on my HP Envy x2 (laptop that becomes a tablet).

I am unable to transfer files FROM my S3 to my desktop, but I can transfer FROM my desktop to my S3. Go figure! Networking and connecting to a home group just outright fails on the S3.

I am unable to connect to my Windows phone. In fact, W10 is not yet available for my Windows phone. Did I mention that I have the latest Windows phone? Apparently, W10 for Windows phones is still being developed. Why did I expect anything different. At least I can wirelessly connect my phone to my modem.

bluegrass

Lots of great features to get excited about.

I like it. I'm a tech working on a project to convert my 100 plus customers to Windows 10 from 7 or 8.1 in the case of my Surface clients. I like the fact that there isn't a lot of bloat software to uninstall. The first thing I do is put IE 11 on the Start menu and task bar. The next thing I do is hide all the tiles that were on the Start menu except for IE 11. I than remove Edge & Cortina from the task bar. Next comes turning off all the notification popups.

I install the baby on the domain and I'm about done. It's a good OS and is working fine on machines that we still have around that are five years old. Oh. I also make sure they have Chrome & Firefox as a browser alternative to IE although IE is our standard browser. I do like to download one of Microsoft's beautiful looking Themes and enable a slideshow in the background.

Last edited:

bluegrass

Hated it, drained my SP1 battery :(

Sorry to hear that. I'll have to check to see if I upgraded my older Surfaces to 10 yet. If not, I'm going to definitely do it.

Do you need to function off of battery a lot? I usually plug mine in if there is an AC outlet handy.

roxasodale91

Sorry to hear that. I'll have to check to see if I upgraded my older Surfaces to 10 yet. If not, I'm going to definitely do it.

Do you need to function off of battery a lot? I usually plug mine in if there is an AC outlet handy.

Yeahp :/ im quite scared that i might damage my battery if i always keep it plugged in so i only plug my surface when im at 20% :(

I always have myS3 running on power. I occasionally unplug it to run down the battery, then charge it up again just to keep the battery 'alive'. The last time I did that, the battery was at about 82%, with 11 hours of charge remaining.

AsI haven't used it extensively without power, I don't know how reliable the indicator is, but I'm travelling interstate by train early next month and I'll give the battery a decent work-out then. I just have to remember to charge the S3 before I head home!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeahp :/ im quite scared that i might damage my battery if i always keep it plugged in so i only plug my surface when im at 20% :(

I am not electrical or computer engineer, but I personally feel that technology is at the stage where we really shouldn't be worrying ourselves about should it be plugged in, should it not, what is the battery wear, operating temperature etc. I've always kept all 3 of my surfaces (S3, SP3, SP4) plugged in and there have been no identifiable repercussions as a result.

CrippsCorner

Just in case you're interested, from the official Microsoft 'Getting Started' booklet for Surface...

Battery care.
Surface has an internal lithium-ion battery.

• Operating temperature: Surface is designed to work between 32°F and 95°F (or 0°C to 35°C). Lithium-ion batteries are sensitive to high temperatures, so keep your Surface out of the sun and don’t leave it in a hot car.
  • Recharge any time: The battery doesn't need to be empty or low before you recharge. You can recharge the battery whenever you’d like. However, it’s best to let the battery run down at least once per month before you recharge it.
  • Battery lifespan: The battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by an authorized service provider.

roxasodale91

Just in case you're interested, from the official Microsoft 'Getting Started' booklet for Surface...

Battery care.
Surface has an internal lithium-ion battery.

• Operating temperature: Surface is designed to work between 32°F and 95°F (or 0°C to 35°C). Lithium-ion batteries are sensitive to high temperatures, so keep your Surface out of the sun and don’t leave it in a hot car.
  • Recharge any time: The battery doesn't need to be empty or low before you recharge. You can recharge the battery whenever you’d like. However, it’s best to let the battery run down at least once per month before you recharge it.
  • Battery lifespan: The battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by an authorized service provider.

how can you consider a charge as a "charge cycle" ?