What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
--- JUMP DIRECTLY TO BUILD VERSION ---

2014 Technical Preview Build 9841 starts here.
2014 Technical Preview Build 9860 (click here)
2014 Technical Preview Build 9879 (click here)
- - -
2015 January - Technical Preview Build 9926 (click here)
2015 March - Build 10041 Professional (click here)
2015 March - Build 10049 Professional (click here)
2015 April - Build 10061 Professional (click here)
2015 April - Build 10074 Professional (click here)
2015 May - Build 10122 Professional (click here)
2015 May - Build 10122 Professional, + command to run before installing (click here)
2015 May - Build 10125 Professional (click here)
2015 May - Build 10130 Professional (click here)
2015 July - Build 10162 Professional (click here)
2015 July - Build 10166 Professionals (click here)
2015 July - Build 10240 TH1 Professional (click here)
2015 July - Windows 11 Build 110729 (click here)

------------------
Showcase / Screenshots of Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3
------------------

How to Install Windows 10 Technical Preview on a Surface Pro 3 (click here)
---

Post your successes, failures, comments, praises, and warnings about Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 3 platform here.

[Be sure to provide feedback using the special app to Microsoft, not just to this board]

I've installed Windows 10 Technical Preview on my i7 512 Surface Pro 3. The install went smoothly, and took less than 30 minutes.

First impression: Love it. The Start Menu is back to being the thing in the lower left of the Desktop, not the "Metro" or "Modern" interface. However, the best that interface is all combined. Apps can be added, removed, resized, launched, and uninstalled right from this menu. Apps can also be moved or copied to a Desktop shortcut.

Fast. No crashes. All my stuff is there. I had to reinstall some VPN software, but otherwise off to a bright future.

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (1).png

Tracks and music videos play perfectly with iTunes 64-bit 11.0.4.18
Screenshot (12).png

Great performance with the Microsoft Video Player
Screenshot (14).png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Everything is working OOB, except for the special pen functions. If you use a wireless display it will disconnect if you swipe to expose the Charms Bar...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is it just me or is Metro IE gone. I can't seem to get it to work which is a huge pain.
Yes it is gone, but there is a PowerShell Script that you can get to bring it back, Tom Warren from the Verge linked to it last night...

joell85

Here is the link.

http://www.microsoftproductreviews.com/windows/tip-get-old-modern-internet-explorer-back/

If you want to create a shortcut to run it, just save as a .ps1. You will then need to also change the execution policy for scripts (MAY BE DANGEROUS IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS) by running "Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned" in an admin version of the powershell.

You can then create a link targeting: powershell "c:\your directory\scriptname.ps1"

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

Question, is the Start screen still available? I ask because I saw some screenshots that displayed some sort of Start screen that had apps and a profile to the left side. Wonder if that was there.

I like the Start screen and I wonder if this means that Windows tablets are stuck with the desktop as their main go-to screen.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
With Windows 10, users may choose to use the Start Menu or the Start Screen.

How to Toggle Default Start Menu or Start Screen
1. Right-mouse click Search icon (magnifying glass in the Task Bar), and choose "Properties"
2. Click "Start Menu" tab
3. Choose "Use the Start Menu instead of the Start Screen"

You will find lots of tweakability there, in addition.

Screenshot (4).png

Last edited:

Maximus3D

Those of you running the beta of Windows 10, please remember to give lots of valuable detailed feedback to Microsoft so they can squash the bugs and improve on it before the big release.

/ Magnus

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
SUCCESS:
For the first time, my corporate Outlook Exchange account Calendar is synced with all my other calendars. I'm able to use the independent "Metro" or "Modern" style calendar apps to see all my events.

FAIL:
Cisco VPN AnyConnect. Older Cisco clients are fine.

TeknoBlast

With Windows 10, users may choose to use the Start Menu or the Start Screen.

How to Toggle Default Start Menu or Start Screen
1. Click the Search icon (magnifying glass in the Task Bar)
2. Type "Navigation Properties" and Enter. You then may have to click "Settings" at the top of a Bing screen, depending upon your configuration.
3. Click "Start Menu" tab
4. Choose "Use the Start Menu instead of the Start Screen"

You will find lots of tweakability there, in addition.

View attachment 3859
Nice. Thanks.

I'm planning to install W10 on a test machine, but havent had a chance today. Glad there's still an option to keep the Start screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.