What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrass

Not sure if others who have upgraded to the new preview ran into what I did. I have been using Windows Update in the Control Panel to do all my updates. I checked for updates late yesterday afternoon and there wasn't any. After reading how hot this thread had gotten about the new preview, I went again this morning and it found no updates. Just for s&g I went to the MUI version of checking for updates and it found none but I suddenly noticed a new item in the Update & Recovery list named Preview builds. I clicked on it and followed the bouncing ball. Not sure how you all found out how to upgrade the preview. This was new to me and I didn't realize this was the only way to do the Preview Upgrade.

GTiceman

Not sure if others who have upgraded to the new preview ran into what I did. I have been using Windows Update in the Control Panel to do all my updates. I checked for updates late yesterday afternoon and there wasn't any. After reading how hot this thread had gotten about the new preview, I went again this morning and it found no updates. Just for s&g I went to the MUI version of checking for updates and it found none but I suddenly noticed a new item in the Update & Recovery list named Preview builds. I clicked on it and followed the bouncing ball. Not sure how you all found out how to upgrade the preview. This was new to me and I didn't realize this was the only way to do the Preview Upgrade.

I actually didn't think about going through the control panel as I always use MUI for my regular updates and noticed the Preview Build option from day 1 on W10.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... I suddenly noticed a new item in the Update & Recovery list named Preview builds...

Yes, that's the way to get the Technical Preview. I wonder if I've worn down the glass screen a bit by checking that so often since the beginning of October, 2014 for the next build.

Now, you can choose how often you want to be offered new builds: Are you a risk-taker? Receive builds more often (Fast).
Are you worried about potential bugs and stumbling blocks? Receive builds less often (Slow).

Seems to me Microsoft's technical culture is getting more human every day. Software designed for how people think. I like it.

Build_Frequency.png

From Windows Insider Program
Rings.png

bluegrass

Maybe this MS Preview blog link has been posted before but I'll post it here. It's a great read for anyone following or have installed the W10 Preview. It really looks like MS has their act together with respect to putting together a new OS. To me it's a Win-Win situation.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...rst-new-build-to-the-windows-insider-program/

My new preview just finished installing a few minutes ago. I must admit that I'm running it on an old XP desktop where I work that was going to be recycled. It runs great on this 3 year old machine. I can't really think of any reason not to update my SP3 though. I may do it after the next Preview update.

mitchellvii

It appears the latest Win10 build does include the Intel HD Control Center in the video drivers. I could be wrong but it would seem so.

MS may still try to roll that back to the crappy custom ones with an update though. :-(

Any good guide how to dual boot with the default win 8.1?

Do i need to disable bitlocker in order to dual boot? (No VHD, regular install via shrink space)

I assume The recovery partition stays intact and I wont have any trouble going back to full stock, right?

Last edited:

bluegrass

It appears the latest Win10 build does include the Intel HD Control Center in the video drivers. I could be wrong but it would seem so.

MS may still try to roll that back to the crappy custom ones with an update though. :-(

It appears that way. I have the Preview installed on an older desktop and I know I didn't install the Intel driver that has the control panel but it's there now after I installed the Preview update awhile ago. I bet MS will update the Intel driver on the SP's that are running 8.1. pretty soon.

hardhit

It appears that way. I have the Preview installed on an older desktop and I know I didn't install the Intel driver that has the control panel but it's there now after I installed the Preview update awhile ago. I bet MS will update the Intel driver on the SP's that are running 8.1. pretty soon.
I don't find the control panel on my system. Where do you see the control panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.