What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmergel

I am not seeing the Preview Builds option in Update and Recovery when I am logged in as a domain user account. If I log in as local Administrator user account it is there. This is happening with both preview builds.

Just answered my own problem.
It looks like you have to have admin rights for the Preview Build option to be there. Just confirmed. My regular domain account does not have administrator rights. Just logged in with my domain admin account and its there. Any way if anybody sees this, that is the reason (or cause).

rege0039

Has anyone has Battery Bar running on Build 9860 ?

I've tried a few times and just get errors on the install of .net and then although the battery bar toolbar is present it doesn't show the battery ?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Question:

4gb or 8gb? everyone was shouting about how you should get the 8gb model because of windows 9 (now 10). I seemed to be a complete minority saying it was a nonsense argument, despite having no facts.

So what's the verdict? Does 10 really need that 8gb that everyone was arguing, or does it work just fine on 4gb as I had predicted?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone has Battery Bar running on Build 9860 ?

I've tried a few times and just get errors on the install of .net and then although the battery bar toolbar is present it doesn't show the battery ?

Looks like a work in progress. The threshold bar at the bottom of the Battery Saver MUI is not active yet.

mitchellvii

Question:

4gb or 8gb? everyone was shouting about how you should get the 8gb model because of windows 9 (now 10). I seemed to be a complete minority saying it was a nonsense argument, despite having no facts.

So what's the verdict? Does 10 really need that 8gb that everyone was arguing, or does it work just fine on 4gb as I had predicted?

I have 4GB and it is running flawlessly.

wynand32

Question:

I don't remember seeing that argument here, which is not to say it didn't happen, of course. Just if I'd seen it, I would have argued that after Vista, Microsoft has done a great job of improving performance and reducing system requirements with each new OS. Windows 7 required less than Vista, Windows 8/8.1 requires less than Windows 7, and I'm assuming that Windows 10 will at worst require no more than Windows 8/8.1.

Microsoft sees where things are going, and they have a dedicated push to make Windows fit on lower-end devices in response to Chromebook. The fact that Windows 8.1 will run with any kind of performance on machines with 2GB is a testament to this effort. I don't see this changing with Windows 10.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I've been working Build 9860 very hard, and have had no crashes. I did have to use the Advanced Printer Setup to tell Windows the IP address of my HP printer, and I added a Run command to the start menu.

Screenshot (100).png

Screenshot (101).png

mitchellvii

Hey how do we change the background color or opacity of the Start Button Menu? No matter what I do it is dark gray and 100% opacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.