What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dblkk

With the latest version of W10 my SP3 is running a lot hotter and the fan is blasting pretty much full speed even when just browsing. Under 8.1 it almost never ran at all.

Anyone else? The thing that seems to be running a lot and using up CPU is Windows Defender but I'n not running any virus scans at all. Why would Defender be running so hard?

P.S., Just noticed that Defender is in fact running a virus scan. Weird. I didn't tell it to do that and none were scheduled.
if uts only been a few days, it could be initial scans and updates for defender.
I actually find running avg to be easier on the system than running stoc defender

GTiceman

I do notice Windows Defender kicking in a lot more, right now my system is quiet.

My newest issue is that MUI apps launch partially but dont actually load up on the screen so I need to close them on the taskbar and re-open

Kris

Anyone enable hyper v and disabled the power saver option on the network card, using Windows 10? Of course doesn't work with Windows 8. Trying to figure out how to stop the limited connectivity issue and wondering if this works on Windows 10...

hardhit

I'm experiencing a new issue since yesterdat in that when my surface is running and I press the power button to put it to sleep I get the screen to shutdown the surface.
I have checked the power plan and the actions defined for pressing the power button but they all are set to sleep.
I did not install anything new and as far as I can see there where no new updates installed.
Anyone experiencing similar issue or does someone have a solution for this.

razy60

I'm experiencing a new issue since yesterdat in that when my surface is running and I press the power button to put it to sleep I get the screen to shutdown the surface.
I have checked the power plan and the actions defined for pressing the power button but they all are set to sleep.
I did not install anything new and as far as I can see there where no new updates installed.

All I know is press and hold power button to turn off, but most of the time I close the keyboard to sleep the surface or use the button in the start menu.

mitchellvii

Funny that nothing for the past week+ has changed on my Windows 10 install but oddly it keeps behaving sketchier and sketchier. Now when I awake from sleep, sometimes the screen will remain black except for the taskbar and my mouse will make crazy mousetrails all over the place. Today, the screen just randomly went blank and had to restart to get it back (this one made me nervous).

Strange that it seems to be getting funkier despite no updates.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
...Now when I awake from sleep, sometimes the screen will remain black except for the taskbar and my mouse will make crazy mousetrails all over the place. Today, the screen just randomly went blank and had to restart to get it back ... it seems to be getting funkier despite no updates.

Sure sounds like malware or VNC.

Rounding up the usual suspects: Check your installed programs list, and also notice if it happens when in Airplane mode (to isolate communications). Also check that pen - is it active in a case or drawer or underneath some desk clutter?

Have you enabled Hyper-V and made changes to the power plan settings?

This was what caused it in my case. There seems to be something in those settings that is causing this issue, and it seems like it can only be fixed through a system restore, which is what I ultimately had to do.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Technical Preview of Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 3 has become my number crunching, portable machine. It is also including my scientific calculator for geophysics and Assembly programming calculator.

Calculators in particular are very well suited for a touch screen. These are free.

Screenshot (115).png

Screenshot (116).png

Screenshot (117).png

cosmicarts

hi, is the automatic hibernation (after 4h of cs) working (like win8.1) since the last updates? i like it hibernating automatically over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.