What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmee

Can any of you guys running W10 answer these for me:

1. I like the full screen metro UI, is that completely gone?
2. Can you still just use metro apps in fullscreen outside of the win32 ui?
3. Doesn't being in desktop mode hurt your battery vs being in metro mode? So isn't windows 10 worse on battery life?

thanks guys!

VickiFL

I use my SP3 90% of the time in desktop mode, and I have had no battery degradation, nor has it harmed the battery. I don't see how that would be any different in Win10.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can any of you guys running W10 answer these for me:

1. I like the full screen metro UI, is that completely gone?
2. Can you still just use metro apps in fullscreen outside of the win32 ui?
3. Doesn't being in desktop mode hurt your battery vs being in metro mode? So isn't windows 10 worse on battery life?

thanks guys!

1. Yes and No.... it is there but behaves completely different (I would expect better behavior come January's Consumer Preview)
2. Yes, sort of... see above
3. I find I use the modern UI Apps less in Windows 10 currently, Kindle Navigation is broken, using the Web App now, Next Issue can't download new magazines, MSN has the same stories on the Home Pages as the MSN News Apps...The only ones I use are Tweetium, Drawboard....I miss MUI IE so much

People who hated MUI Apps in Windows 8.x will most likely applaud the changes but currently they went too far, but the emphasis for the Technical Preview was for curmudgeon IT folks who felt MS gave them the preferable middle finger to say, "....look we still love you, we regressed the whole UI just for you...."

Win32 Apps will cut your battery life by 10 to 25% depending on the Application Type and Mix.

macmee

1. Yes and No.... it is there but behaves completely different (I would expect better behavior come January's Consumer Preview)
2. Yes, sort of... see above
3. I find I use the modern UI Apps less in Windows 10 currently, Kindle Navigation is broken, using the Web App now, Next Issue can't download new magazines, MSN has the same stories on the Home Pages as the MSN News Apps...The only ones I use are Tweetium, Drawboard....I miss MUI IE so much

People who hated MUI Apps in Windows 8.x will most likely applaud the changes but currently they went too far, but the emphasis for the Technical Preview was for curmudgeon IT folks who felt MS gave them the preferable middle finger to say, "....look we still love you, we regressed the whole UI just for you...."

Win32 Apps will cut your battery life by 10 to 25% depending on the Application Type and Mix.

Thanks, it sounds as bad as I feared. I hope they sort it out, I am very happy with Windows 8 as it is now.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, it sounds as bad as I feared. I hope they sort it out, I am very happy with Windows 8 as it is now.
Keep in mind it still a Preview and we expect the Consumer Preview in January which should include a MUI only option for ARM and ATOM SSTs and hopefully the Hybrid Continuum for Two and Ones and Large Screen Tablets.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi
Anyone has link for windows 10 build 9888 , thats internal new ver ?
You're not asking for Pirated Material on our Forum....correct? Internal Builds are just that and are not part of the Windows Insider Program. Our next build is in January which is rumored for as the Consumer Preview.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well despte not being connected t the internet, y surface somehow found a update.. i now have the wfi icon. The flip side is that this has completely nixed my wifi. Earlier today i found that just putting it into CS and then going stright back into windows requires a restart before i cn load a page. Wifi just shows limited connectivity.

smar

A heads up in case anyone is thinking of deleting the windows.old folder - be careful! As mine was quite large (some 12Gb), I thought I'd recover the space. After taking ownership of the folder, I deleted it manually from a command prompt - and broke my Windows install!! It seems as if a number of system files were still being referenced from the windows.old folder (e.g. command.com was no longer found etc). The proper way to delete this folder would have been to use Disk Cleanup or some such.

In the end, I ended up reinstalling build 9879 from an iso. This wiped everything on my drive C, and I ended up with a clean install. Interestingly I didn't have to manually install any of the Surface Pro 3 drivers - all the devices seem to be properly installed automatically.

young blade

A heads up in case anyone is thinking of deleting the windows.old folder - be careful! As mine was quite large (some 12Gb), I thought I'd recover the space. After taking ownership of the folder, I deleted it manually from a command prompt - and broke my Windows install!! It seems as if a number of system files were still being referenced from the windows.old folder (e.g. command.com was no longer found etc). The proper way to delete this folder would have been to use Disk Cleanup or some such.

In the end, I ended up reinstalling build 9879 from an iso. This wiped everything on my drive C, and I ended up with a clean install. Interestingly I didn't have to manually install any of the Surface Pro 3 drivers - all the devices seem to be properly installed automatically.

Thats odd,I took ownership of mine and deleted it and had no problems at all.

smar

Very odd. I definitely had system files being accessed from there. My OneDrive also broke, and ended up deleting all my files in the OneDrive folder (I recovered these from the Recycle Bin on OneDrive online).

young blade

Very odd. I definitely had system files being accessed from there. My OneDrive also broke, and ended up deleting all my files in the OneDrive folder (I recovered these from the Recycle Bin on OneDrive online).

I just checked again and the windows.old folder re appeared. I think this happens when Microsoft pushes out a big update. It could be that mine wasn't broken because when I got my SP3 2 weeks ago I didn't give windows 8.1 any time to breath and installed windows 10 right away. So in my case the windows.old folder that I deleted was the windows 8.1 version.

Right now its tempting to also delete my current windows.old folder but I don't want to mess up my system.

Off-Topic:

I just went to check what happened to all of the free space on my hard drive and had to enable "hidden files" to track it down. Found 18Gb wasted in C:\users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp.

Obviously I deleted all of the contend.

Status
Not open for further replies.