What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for the first year for all windows 7 and 8 owners! Not bad.

So anyone know when the new builds are expected to go live? Been stuck in bed ill for the past week so never got to the library today, but seems i didn't miss much today.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new Windows 10 browser named "Spartan" will allow real-time pen notation right on the browser. Awesome. :)

How does this look to compare to levenos(?) recent offering that offers pretty much exactly that (and if you are inking into a text entry field, you can write anywhere so long as you intiially start inking in the text field in question). At least that's what i read not too long ago.

r34p3rex

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for the first year for all windows 7 and 8 owners! Not bad.

So anyone know when the new builds are expected to go live? Been stuck in bed ill for the past week so never got to the library today, but seems i didn't miss much today.

I think I read somewhere by next week it should be available to Windows Insider program members

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
No idea on that, but i hope they've fixed flahs on firefox. A few weeks ago i downloaded and installed firfox and had to install flash as well. Since installing flash, absolutely any flash element on a webpage turns my surface into a hairdryer.

mitchellvii

Firefox is the only browser currently under this build of W10 that I can get to run with feasting on memory. But the no flash thing of course is an issue.

mitchellvii

I sure hope like hell Windows 10 solves this fan problem. On W8.1 my fan barely ever ran and if it did, quietly and briefly. On W10 (even the latest build) the fan is a leafblower 80% of the time. Once it cranks up it basically never stops.

Weird thing is my SP3 doesn't even feel hot and the fan is screaming full blast.

ptrkhh

The new Windows 10 browser named "Spartan" will allow real-time pen notation right on the browser. Awesome. :)
I don't find it great on a tablet. On a desktop, sure, but the UI is not ergonomic at all on a tablet or small devices. Tabs and address bar on top is not great for a tablet since you need to reach all the way up top. This had been discussed (and complained) on Android Honeycomb back in 2011.
I don't know, but I am really thinking that theyre putting tablets as the second-class citizen this time around.
Moreover, real-time pen notation is more of a gimmick IMO, since we have the OneNote screen capture already.

Been stuck in bed ill for the past week so never got to the library today, but seems i didn't miss much today.
Get well soon :)
How does this look to compare to levenos(?) recent offering that offers pretty much exactly that (and if you are inking into a text entry field, you can write anywhere so long as you intiially start inking in the text field in question). At least that's what i read not too long ago.
No, Lenovo made a TIP to replace the onscreen keyboard, while this one is similar to OneNote double-click-to-capture on our SP3

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't find it great on a tablet. On a desktop, sure, but the UI is not ergonomic at all on a tablet or small devices. Tabs and address bar on top is not great for a tablet since you need to reach all the way up top. This had been discussed (and complained) on Android Honeycomb back in 2011.
I don't know, but I am really thinking that theyre putting tablets as the second-class citizen this time around.
Moreover, real-time pen notation is more of a gimmick IMO, since we have the OneNote screen capture already.

Get well soon :)

No, Lenovo made a TIP to replace the onscreen keyboard, while this one is similar to OneNote double-click-to-capture on our SP3

With regard to the UI, people might complain about the address bar being at the top, but this is how it is on every tablet i've used, windows, android, apple. It's never been problem whatsoever. Heck, in MUI IE last i recall the address abr was at the bottom. Either way it never effected my use. Remember, this current release is not designed for a tablet, it's for desktop use, hold off on the criticism until we actually get to see what they have done with regard to tablet use.

With regard to the TIP, i don't know what you mean. I just read that ABC had implemented a feature that allowed inking in any text input box and so long as the ink started in the box, you could write outside of the "lines" and it would still work out what was going on. Guess i better read up on what this new MS feature is.

Status
Not open for further replies.