What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rege0039

Well I seem to have some issues and not sure if anyone else has;

1) Some apps aren't working at all. Can't get any video app to play a file. Tried GOM, Multimedia8 & included Video all just crash out. I'm only trying .mp4 files. For info my video drivers are 5th January 2015, version 10.18.15.4079
2) OneCalendar's tile doesn't show any data anymore, just a while tile. If I right click I can see some obscured text. I wonder if it's a colour scheme thing.
3) I have an 'Activate Windows' text in bottom right hand corner of the screen. It's there all the time. When I try to activate it won't. Not sure if I am mean to have a product key or not ?

Other comments that if anyone knows anything about I would welcome their ideas on;

1) One Drive still like Windows 7 and not the placeholders of Windows 8.1. I thought MS were reverting to the 8.1 idea which I personally prefer.
2) Cortana for the UK, please !!!
3) Can't manually resize the startmenu in none tablet mode. Will we have to have vertical scroll ? Side to side seemed better for my thumbs !
4) No easy direct access to screen brightness, through charms. Display button in right hand thumb swipe in just take you to main display properties.
5) Not sure about the look. Seems garish and rather like TouchWiz on an OLED screen, over saturated

rege0039

Anyone know what happens if I do recycle restore on a dual boot machine ? Will it just recycle the preview set up or the whole thing ? As there's no ISO yet to do a full clean install I thought this may be a way to get a fresh start ?

Thanks

m0v1em4n

Well I seem to have some issues and not sure if anyone else has;

2) Cortana for the UK, please !!!

Hi rege0039,

I am in the UK to and unable to even activate (switch on) Cortana, Understand that the external server thing will not work yet but thought the internal search might.
Is this the same for all in the UK and other none US countries

mitchellvii

@sharpcolorado, diggin that wallpaper. Can you link it for us?

screenshot-4-png.5098

AllTaken

Hi rege0039,

I am in the UK to and unable to even activate (switch on) Cortana, Understand that the external server thing will not work yet but thought the internal search might.
Is this the same for all in the UK and other none US countries

UK here and a few others (Canada) have the same issue. By the sounds of it we're not missing much. She gives a super annoying intro every time.

ScottyS

I too can't play any video in Windows Media Player and the MUI Video app, but VLC player works fine.
My heating to critical level with fan blowing like a leaf blower which was fixed with the firmware update a couple of weeks ago seems still fixed except while playing a video and when having that link @m0v1em4n pointed out crashing IE.

But the leaf blowing fan cools down the core, so I guess that's the way it's supposed to work.

mitchellvii

I can't get IE to launch. Icon is there but nothing happens if I click it. Ideas? Does it have to be default to work at all?

GUYS, THE FAN ISSUES MAY BE RELATED TO THE VIDEO DRIVERS.

When I run the stock drivers I get jet fan, heat and screen lag. When I flash the Intel Drivers (i5 - 4400 model) (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k9558ni8n6e3rm9/AAAlB21xT-D7Ujir_ehAyGL_a?dl=0) quiet and no screen lag. Also with Intel Drivers you get access to HD Control Panel. You can flash these directly over the current drivers.

ONLY THESE 8/5/14 DRIVERS work with this W10 build. Latest will not install.

* Note, W10 will replace these every time it updates with their stock drivers and right now you can't stop that.

Last edited:

m0v1em4n

Hi Guys,
Can anyone point me in the right direction to change tile size and background colour in the start menu, I have checked out all settings/ personalisation but all that is in there is lock scree
I can't get IE to launch. Icon is there but nothing happens if I click it. Ideas? Does it have to be default to work at all?

GUYS, THE FAN ISSUES MAY BE RELATED TO THE VIDEO DRIVERS.

When I run the stock drivers I get jet fan, heat and screen lag. When I flash the Intel Drivers (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k9558ni8n6e3rm9/AAAlB21xT-D7Ujir_ehAyGL_a?dl=0) quiet and no screen lag. Also with Intel Drivers you get access to HD Control Panel. You can flash these directly over the current drivers.

* Note, W10 will replace these every time it updates with their stock drivers and right now you can't stop that.
Are these drivers suitable for i5 video adapters

hardhit

For me this is a nightmare build. Surface hangs every few seconds. Did a refresh, not reset and lost all my programs and data. Now doing for the second time a full reset to see if this improves things else I will go back to win 8.1

Woke up with a dead Surface this morning. Knew we would have battery issues but didn't expect it to be this bad. Did a Sleep Study report and sure enough it was Cortana. Lost 27% while in connected standby. I disabled Cortana for now. Don't really need her.

Status
Not open for further replies.