What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PilotGav

I don't understand. How did the community go from "Its interesting but definitely not ready for Surface yet" to " I'm loving it and its already a better experience than 8.1"?

By the way I'm gonna do it lol.

John2k14

John2k14,
That is precisely the way it will work. This Preview makes you do it manually, because "Continuum" is not included yet (coming very soon). Switching will be automatic, but can be overridden by the user.

I didn't know that before, fantastic! Now I don't regret give another leap of fait to MSFT! I wonder if someday they'll surprise me with phones.

How is w10pv working out for you on your SP3?

wynand32

Okay, yeah, I'm going back and forth on this Windows 10 thing (as you'll note, I just posted a little while ago that I'm doing it, now I'm questioning it). Just don't know if for my purposes it's a good idea to go all-in with Windows 10...

What I wish was possible was to do a dual-boot, keeping my current Win 8.1 install but having access to Windows 10. However, I can't get a clean install on a new partition to work--too many drivers are missing, including the WiFi driver.

I haven't found anyone who's successfully completed a clean install--everyone seems to be upgrading their existing installation. Grrr...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Good news to those worried: Just because I wanted to know, I just deliberately did a "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" while in the Windows 10 Preview. My machine completely reinstalled a clean Windows Technical Preview.

Everything is here, and working just fine, like it was two hours ago. I am an explorer by trade - a geophysicist/geologist/petrophysicist. Glad to know Microsoft has this covered.

Deliberately chose the middle option (screen shot taken after the reinstall)
Screenshot (17).png

Everything is back

Screenshot (16).png

Last edited:

Kris

anyone notice a difference in max volume after installing windows 10. Seems that it got a lot louder on my bluetooth on 8.1...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
anyone notice a difference in max volume after installing windows 10. Seems that it got a lot louder on my bluetooth on 8.1...

Yes, I agree it was louder with 8.1 . Windows 10 continues that louder performance on my SP3.

Kris

Anyone play around with the virtual desktop. Found that no matter what desktop you open Google Chrome and hangouts on, when you get a message the Hangouts app moves to the desktop you currently have open. defeats the purpose of putting it on a virtual desktop. Wondering if anyone has run into this, with this chrome or any other app, and found a way around it.

messy

Mhhh, I cannot resist. I have to install the preview. Has anyone tried whether programs like PHPStorm, Vagrant Box and Virtual Box are still able to run?

Once Windows 10 is installed, can you go to Change PC Settings-Update and Recovery-Recovery-Remove everything and reinstall windows, the just let the SP3 reinstall Windows 8.1 from the recovery partition?

Please let me know.... I don't feel like creating a disk image.

Kris

Once Windows 10 is installed, can you go to Change PC Settings-Update and Recovery-Recovery-Remove everything and reinstall windows, the just let the SP3 reinstall Windows 8.1 from the recovery partition?

no have to use a recovery image, there is a sticky on how to do it.
EDIT: If you decide to make a recovery image, fair warning the download takes a few hours. Seems Microsoft is throttling the download speed.

Last edited:

gkarg

Okay, yeah, I'm going back and forth on this Windows 10 thing (as you'll note, I just posted a little while ago that I'm doing it, now I'm questioning it). Just don't know if for my purposes it's a good idea to go all-in with Windows 10...

What I wish was possible was to do a dual-boot, keeping my current Win 8.1 install but having access to Windows 10. However, I can't get a clean install on a new partition to work--too many drivers are missing, including the WiFi driver.

I haven't found anyone who's successfully completed a clean install--everyone seems to be upgrading their existing installation. Grrr...

Hi
I had no problem installing Windows 10 on the release date with a clean install to a seperate partition. For the missing drivers i started Windows 8.1 again, downloaded the Surface Pro 3 driver pack September 2014 from Microsoft and copied / unzipped them to the Windows 10 partition (to the public folder). After rebooting into Windows 10 - i just had to open Device Manager and let windows search for each unknown device in this folder for the driver - so no unknown devices anymore - everything works.

Also today i found a thread here, were you could have found this info, too - http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/windows-10-on-surface-pro-3-fail.11859/

Hope this helps
Gkarg

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

I believe the Recovery Partition is redone with Windows 10 so you would need to make other plans (Recovery Drive etc.) for getting back to 8.1 before upgrading to W10.

Not sure of the details but someone was having trouble with that ... although id assume nuking partitions would kill any lingering W10 persistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.