What's new

Windows 10 on the surface

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone heard when Windows 10 will come preinstalled on the Surface Pro/Surface?

TeknoBlast

Went into Best Buy today and saw a couple of Surfaces with Windows 10 already on it. Didnt mess with it too much since I'm going to one of the MS Store event tomorrow.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a supply chain issue... I cant believe anyone would open boxes, update to Win10 and rebox them.
It seems unlikely for MS to do a massive stock exchange program of Win10 Surfaces for Win 8.1 Surfaces throughout the channel.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a supply chain issue... I cant believe anyone would open boxes, update to Win10 and rebox them.
It seems unlikely for MS to do a massive stock exchange program of Win10 Surfaces for Win 8.1 Surfaces throughout the channel.

The bigger issue is that they would not be able to "rebox them". Then they'd be in all kind of legal trouble. any surface factory shipped with windows 10 would have to obtain brand new packaging, as the packaging states windows 8.1 on the back and as such would be false advertising (not that companies do not do this COUGH Shuttle XPC COUGH COUGH COUGH!)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bigger issue is that they would not be able to "rebox them". Then they'd be in all kind of legal trouble. any surface factory shipped with windows 10 would have to obtain brand new packaging, as the packaging states windows 8.1 on the back and as such would be false advertising (not that companies do not do this COUGH Shuttle XPC COUGH COUGH COUGH!)
Yes, and Santa's elves have the summer off too.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Its not actually too difficult, sell Windows 8.1 machines until yesterday....all new shipments have Windows 10 on them already waiting to be put out today. At COB yesterday you ship all old stock back, Microsoft re-images them, repacks them with new packaging and now uses these to ship back to customers through other channels.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its not actually too difficult, sell Windows 8.1 machines until yesterday....all new shipments have Windows 10 on them already waiting to be put out today. At COB yesterday you ship all old stock back, Microsoft re-images them, repacks them with new packaging and now uses these to ship back to customers through other channels.

No, not necessarily difficult, just a lot of work and money.

And I know that oversight can happen, but it's launch day, everyone is getting windows 10, yet the SP3 is still being sold on the MS store as coming with 8.1 and advertised as free upgrade to 10 and still runs a picture of an SP3 running 8.1

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No, not necessarily difficult, just a lot of work and money.

And I know that oversight can happen, but it's launch day, everyone is getting windows 10, yet the SP3 is still being sold on the MS store as coming with 8.1 and advertised as free upgrade to 10 and still runs a picture of an SP3 running 8.1
Microsoft Store online is run by DigitalRiver (the same company that handles the education market) so I'm not sure when they will update the web copy...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft Store online is run by DigitalRiver (the same company that handles the education market) so I'm not sure when they will update the web copy...

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Would never have thought it was anything but an MS website.