What's new

Solved Windows 10 on VM or Dualboot?

Install Windows 10 preview as VM or DualBoot

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dblkk

As the title states. I'm interested in downloading and running Windows 10 preview. But not sure which is the better route to go. Dual boot it, or run it in a Virtual Machine. I have a MacBook pro, which I have windows 8.1 on both dual boot through boot camp and parallels, and I prefer parallels which would be running a virtual machine. But not sure if that's the best path for window s10.

Please vote, and please post a reply as to why you voted for your choice

Last edited:
OP
D

Dblkk

Tried to shrink my c:/ (256gb) drive, thinking dual boot. But using disk manager, it wont let me shink it down lower than 205mb. Yes that's mb. I have 238319 mb free, size of available shrink space in mb is 205.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've turned off bitlocker now, thinking for whatever reason that might be it, but nope.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Immovable files. Hyberfile, swapfile.

I'm looking at another option... Boot from VHD with W10 installed on the VHD.

OP
D

Dblkk

Immovable files. Hyberfile, swapfile.

I'm looking at another option... Boot from VHD with W10 installed on the VHD.

Yes, my problem exactly. I tried running a VM, but I'm really disliking it. And for whatever reason I also have no internet. But I only just got it running. I tried running it through both an oracle program in which I ran into 32bit only options and I'm running 64bit so problems there. And also running it through hyper v manager, which netted a great vm but so far no internet. Nor do I know how to make it boot into it, or even a quicker way to find and launch it.

OP
D

Dblkk

I really want to dual boot. I think running windows 10 as an actual OS will be the best. And if/when I run into problems for work/school, I can just restart into windows 8.1.

I really need to fix this shrink problem. Anyone, any help or suggestions on shrinking C:/ problems?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really want to dual boot. I think running windows 10 as an actual OS will be the best. And if/when I run into problems for work/school, I can just restart into windows 8.1.

I really need to fix this shrink problem. Anyone, any help or suggestions on shrinking C:/ problems?
Disable hibernation and set swapfile to zero that should remove those.. not sure if there's anything else blocking the shrink,

OP
D

Dblkk

Downloaded EaseUS Partition Master, tried a 'moving and resizing partition' change, in which I changed the size of C:/ down 50000mb, requiring a reboot. Upon reboot it is now attempting the change, im at 16% now.

I knew it was swap files and such. I don't think hibernation as its not setup at all and dis-allowed on my surface as it is on everything I own. But I wonder if the connected standbye 'deep sleep' is sort of hibernation. But hopefully since this is moving and resizing the partition, it is moving all those (we'll call them crap files) to a different area so I gain access to my C:/ again.

Played with windows 10 in VM, and it seems nice. Didn't spend more than 10 min, and didn't even try touch. But I think I still prefer my windows 8.1 and start 8.

OP
D

Dblkk

Got my 50gb drive F:/ now. But cant get surface pro to start and read from what should be my bootable usb I put windows 10 on. Tried it twice now, usb wise using windows 7 usb download tool. and now im installing on another usb. I try to boot from usb on surface pro, and it just restarts. I tried ot go into bios and made sure secure boot ect was turned off, and usb was first boot option. And still just a normal restart (well other than my screen turning red while it was loading which scared me)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got my 50gb drive F:/ now. But cant get surface pro to start and read from what should be my bootable usb I put windows 10 on. Tried it twice now, usb wise using windows 7 usb download tool. and now im installing on another usb. I try to boot from usb on surface pro, and it just restarts. I tried ot go into bios and made sure secure boot ect was turned off, and usb was first boot option. And still just a normal restart (well other than my screen turning red while it was loading which scared me)
The red screen just means secure boot is off.

OP
D

Dblkk

Try recreating the USB might be something wrong with it.
Doing that 'slow' process right now. Sure hope it works as this preview really looks enticing. Yet I cant afford to run into a problem with it while I'm out of the house.

mohcho

I'm using hyper-v to run Windows 10 in a VM. I didn't want to risk my work SP3 with the technical preview, just in case I run into issues that would prohibit me from working. If it were my own SP3, I might've considered going all in.