What's new

Windows 10 pictures app

OWENCOBB

am I doing something wrong, when I had windows 8 I had the photos app that displayed all my picture folders however in windows 10 for some reason they don't want to appear just shows camera roll and pictures taken in a certain date, I have selected the folder that they are all in but they still don't appear

benjitek

Libraries function the same in Windows 10 as they did in Windows 7.x & 8.x -- you just need to define which folder(s) your Pictures Library is stored in. From what you described, it sounds like you're pointing at the default '/user/pictures' folder, but are actually storing your photos elsewhere.

The Photos app pulls from whatever you've defined for your Pictures Library. If you're unclear on how to work with libraries, there's plenty of info at the Microsoft Support site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/result.aspx?q=libraries

Last edited:

Kris

You can also get the old Windows photo view back by doing this

Copy Red text below> open notepad>paste the text>save it with a file name ending with .reg extension>Then, run and merge the code to registry.
Pick an image file, right click and choose the open with option. Windows Photo Viewer should be an option now.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpg]
@="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.tiff]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.ico]

benjitek

When I upgraded my Windows 8.1 install, the previous photoviewer was an option when I right clicked and selected 'Open With', but after I did a clean install it wasn't, and doesn't show if I select 'choose another program', is that photo viewer still there? I actually like the new one now that I've been 'forced' to use it -- the only thing I don't like about it is the confirmation every time you delete a picture, with no option to get rid of that prompt. That's what the Trash bin is for -- retrieving accidental deletions...