What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B'midbar

Question: is it safe to delete the "Previous Windows Installations" in Cleanup System Files ? What is it supposed to do ? It's only for a roll back in case something is screwed in the current build ?

I can free more than 15GB of space....

I nuked mine after imaging the disk, only got 7GB back even though it said 15.7GB for Windows.old.

Gary.M

So I took the plunge this evening and installed the latest build. All went rather slowly but eventually I was fully updated. The only problem I have is my wifi speed has decreased dramatically. Whereas I previously hit speeds around 20 Mbps I am now lucky if I hit 3 Mbps. Has anybody else had this problem and know how to fix it please?

mitchellvii

So I took the plunge this evening and installed the latest build. All went rather slowly but eventually I was fully updated. The only problem I have is my wifi speed has decreased dramatically. Whereas I previously hit speeds around 20 Mbps I am now lucky if I hit 3 Mbps. Has anybody else had this problem and know how to fix it please?

Just go with it. It will improve. May be your cloud files syncing.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Add Command Prompt and PowerShell to the Start Menu
1) Search for command prompt, Add to Start
2) Search for powershell, Add to Start

Notes:
- Can be "Run as administrator" with mouse right-click.
- Moving tiles around now can be done more easily with a finger touch by holding on a tile. Release, then move.

Screenshot (36).png

Search for Command Prompt and Pin to Start
Screenshot (31).png

Search for PowerShell and Pin to Start
Screenshot (32).png

Screenshot (33).png

To Run as administrator, right-click mouse launch
Screenshot (34).png

Move tiles easily by touching and holding, then release. The tile is flagged and can be dragged.
Screenshot (35).png

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Drag and Drop directly from your All Apps list

Glad to find that users can now drag and drop tiles directly from the All Apps list to the tile array in the Start Menu. If the tile already exists, the Start Menu does not part existing tiles to receive the new item, and does not accept the drop.

Screenshot (38).png

Screenshot (37).png

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Map app performance is stunning.

I'm a heavy map user. I've been Amerigo around the block with many apps and utilities. Maps are my business.

I use my Surface Pro 3 with a Bluetooth GPS mouse**, and have noticed a stunning improvement in features and performance with Windows 10041. Built-in maps render smoothly and accurately. With GPS, maps are responsive and easy to use. Satellite, photographic (aerial) and street views are properly registered and displayed.

Charting a new world with Windows 10 and the Surface Pro 3. The downloads of offline maps might be well worth the disk space for many users.

** Note: "GPS mouse" is not a computer mouse, but instead refers to a GPS device that continuously reports its location, and has no other purpose

Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (39).png

Screenshot (41).png

Screenshot (42).png

Screenshot (43).png

Screenshot (44).png

Last edited:
B

B'midbar

What happened to sliding your screen up to log in? Now it's the power button, the Windows button or the good old Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

@B'midbar I'm getting inconsistent results with that. Sometimes I can slide up and sometimes I get the prompt to use the Windows/Power button or Ctrl+ALT+Del. I haven't figured out the difference although I will say that if the system locks itself due to inactivity it seems to require the unlock sequence. If I lock the screen with Windows+L and then immediately unlock it does not require the 2 or 3 button salute.

I also can't seem to get the Windows/Power button combo to work. It either goes back to sleep or it gives me the Slide down to power off, depending on how long I hold the power button.

I've entered this into the Feedback app. I also gave feedback that the prompt for the unlock is ugly.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The "Hold the Windows key then press the Power button, or press Ctrl+Alt+Delete " lock screen shows up occasionally (if the keyboard is attached). Looks like a bug left over from a bad idea.

Do a hard power restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.