What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodBytes

Microsoft is aiming for a summer release. They are pressured to as well.
Windows 10.1 is already scheduled for end of 2016 (possibly October).

If you look at the user voice forum, many ideas are marked as "backlog", that is "We most likely won't have time to implement it, but we will be working on it once Windows 10 is out".

Office 2013 (not 365, that is the service in getting the latest Office version as it comes out), font rendering is the same one for Windows Presentation Foundation based programs. There is no fix that the Office team can do. That would be the Windows Presentation Foundation team. Font rendering is VERY complex and difficult. If you look at Linux based OSs, you can see that under a xWindows environment (eg: not the command line), it has been years, and I mean YEARS, and font rendering is still a huge problem. Font is hard to read, and to compensate they make it larger. As you can see, it is definitively not easy.

Here is what I mean.
The first picture is the font of xWindows environment (click for full size)
linux.png

The second picture is if it was rendered in Windows:
windows.png

Notice how the font is smaller, more readable, more sharp under Windows.

All I am saying is that it is not an easy 2 min fix.
If you wonder Office 2016 has no improvement on that.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Again, the press has made way too much of an emphasis on the fall and June updates to Windows 10...we knew that this OSS would have continuous updates, "The Fast Ring" isn't just for the Preview Program.

Office 2016 scales really well as the UI is done in XAML so everything is smooth no matter the DPI....

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft Mail App has won me over.

I am a compulsive email client critic. I have multiple and corporate accounts, like many people these days. Missing or delayed email, certificate clashes, improper rendering, wasted computer resources, and poor syncing schemes have caused me to stick to Outlook for many reasons, being the best compromise.

I occasionally launch the Microsoft Mail app, and shut it down in disgust.

But under Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10049, the Mail app is brilliant. Speedy. Sync of folders is reliable and complete. I have a Gmail account, two Exchange accounts, and three independent IMAP accounts running, all working properly.

I tested the same on my MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch with Windows 10 10049. Works just as well.

Screenshot (27).png

mitchellvii

I'm just basing my opinion on decades of MS "upgrades". They seem to add things I didn't want, eliminate things I used every day and generally made the product harder to use. Here's to hoping they surprise me this time.

ScottyS

Microsoft Mail App has won me over.

I am a compulsive email client critic. I have multiple and corporate accounts, like many people these days. Missing or delayed email, certificate clashes, improper rendering, wasted computer resources, and poor syncing schemes have caused me to stick to Outlook for many reasons, being the best compromise.

I occasionally launch the Microsoft Mail app, and shut it down in disgust.

But under Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10049, the Mail app is brilliant. Speedy. Sync of folders is reliable and complete. I have a Gmail account, two Exchange accounts, and three independent IMAP accounts running, all working properly.

I tested the same on my MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch with Windows 10 10049. Works just as well.

View attachment 5956
I'm still an Outlook fan because of having mail, contacts and calendar all in one place. Plus it syncs my iPhone note with its notes, and you can set a folder's properties to be a web page for web based mail or news or whatever.

But I cannot get Outlook to connect to my MS Exchange mail from work. I can set it up and it works when I'm at work and on the work network, but at home it can't connect (I know my IT people can fix what is probably some arcane setting), BUT I opened the MS Mail app, set my MS Exchange server as a new account, put in my username and password, and it works.
I guess one advantage to MS Mail is it keeps it simple.

EDIT: Actually I can't set a folder's properties to be a web page. The option is there under properties but is greyed out. Don't know why.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone experiencing any issues with onenote preview syncing to desktop onenote on a different machine? I'm getting really annoying instances that are cocking up a lot of notes.

On my surface
Capture.JPG

On the university computer

Capture1.PNG

edit: since writing this the mixed up stuff has now synced itself back to my surafce and i'm out of an afternoons work. Bah

Looking at it, what i did was i dragged a whole chunk of text down a few lines to add something in at the beginnig, but upon syncing it has retained the original position of the text as well as pasting the text into the new postition

Last edited:

ScottyS

. . . Looking at it, what i did was i dragged a whole chunk of text down a few lines to add something in at the beginnig, but upon syncing it has retained the original position of the text as well as pasting the text into the new postition
OneNote Desktop version (don't know if MUI version has same command) has on the Insert ribbon an "Insert space" button which make cursor a line (horizontal or vertical depending on whether you drag it down from top or in from side) and it lets you drag down some space to add new stuff. Perhaps this feature is there to prevent what happened to you.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
OneNote Desktop version (don't know if MUI version has same command) has on the Insert ribbon an "Insert space" button which make cursor a line (horizontal or vertical depending on whether you drag it down from top or in from side) and it lets you drag down some space to add new stuff. Perhaps this feature is there to prevent what happened to you.

Doesn't exist in the onenote preview (pretty much nothing exists in onenote MUI/preview). However i do not see that as a valid argument, there should be no need, otherwise they wouldn't allow for selecting and dragging to start with. I know it's just a preview, but it's definitely annoying! Needs to be fixed pronto.

ScottyS

. . . However i do not see that as a valid argument, there should be no need, otherwise they wouldn't allow for selecting and dragging to start with . . .
True.

MS's definition for a work-around is "that's not a bug, that's a feature".

Last edited:

SteveMac

Anyone else seeing issues with the setting for "Your PC has a precision touchpad" automatically disabling every time you enable it.

I turn it on, windows turns it off.....repeat repeat.

2015-04-21_13-41-20.png

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@SteveMac,

Yep. Normal. If you were running on some other platform other than a Surface Pro, with a touchpad, this works fine. I enabled it on my MacBook Pro 15 Retina with Windows 10 10049, and its action improved.

Probably should be greyed out when exclusively using the Surface Pro touchpad.

Status
Not open for further replies.