Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@frosty

You're in for a good experience with Windows 10 Insider Preview, me thinks. Lots of people have gone before you, enduring and overcoming bugs and problems, to be expected with experimental software, of course.

- - - -

Though installing over the top of Windows 8.1 can certainly be done, therein lies the root of some problems people have encountered, causing some re-installs (refresh), or finally, a clean install.

If you can, copy all your user files to an external drive, or verify that they are properly installed on OneDrive. Then do a clean install.
You will be caught up to the rest of us on this thread in a few hours.

Cheers and good luck :)

frosty

OK thanks for that - looking forward to giving the SP3 a run on win10

Any one have any experience with the Office 2016 preview on SP3 running Win10?

I read somewhere that clicking the pen doesnt bring up the full OneNote 2016 program, is that still an issue?

Tks
Frosty

Kris

OK thanks for that - looking forward to giving the SP3 a run on win10

Any one have any experience with the Office 2016 preview on SP3 running Win10?

I read somewhere that clicking the pen doesnt bring up the full OneNote 2016 program, is that still an issue?

Tks
Frosty
I just recently started using it and have not found a way to bring up Note 2016 without just opening the app, the pen doesn't open it for me.

Kris

Odd thing, I have installed Windows 10 on my Desktop and my SP3. On my desktop the the start menu and task bar change colors when the background changes but on my SP3 I can't get that option to work. Anyone know a work around?

frosty

Ok I have my new SP3 and trying to get Win10 (10074) on it but having no luck at all :(

I would prefer to do a clean win10 install (I think this is best idea - correct?) I dont want dual boot.

I have made a bootable usb stick of the win10 ISO (using rufus) but as I found it needs to be FAT32 formatted which I cant get it to be made in - only in NTFS? So it doesnt boot.
How do I make a FAT32 bootable USB stick from my Win10 ISO?

Do I need to turn off"Secure boot control" in UEFI?

What am I doing wrong?

Tks

Frosty

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Ok I have my new SP3 and trying to get Win10 (10074) on it but having no luck at all :( I would prefer to do a clean win10 install (I think this is best idea - correct?) I dont want dual boot.

Yes, clean install. Just execute the .ISO from your hard drive, rather than from external medium.

frosty

Ohh, ok so extract the win10 iso to SP3 and run setup from there? That will only be an upgrade wont it?

Correct?

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Ohh, ok so extract the win10 iso to SP3 and run setup from there? That will only be an upgrade wont it?

Correct?

The .ISO is essentially a DVD. When you open the .ISO (same as inserting and accessing a DVD), then double-click on the Setup file, you will be presented an option to install clean.

I also run Office 2016, and the pen works perfectly. I believe OneNote updated from the Store after I started using it.

mitchellvii

Getting weird Word 2007 error every time I open a mailmerge document:

2n7gpqc.png

Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it? Do not have this issue under 8.1. The Word document does have some code behind it it compiles properly with no errors.

**UPDATE: Ok, figured it out. Was some innocuous minor macro throwing the error. No idea why as it was just a recorded macro so it should not have had an issue. Maybe it was referencing something that no longer works the same in W10? That's my guess.

Murphy's Law of Coding: When you have an unknown error occurring in a page with over 50 macros, it will ALWAYS be the LAST macro you test which is generating the error. :)

Last edited:

Haldi

Odd thing, I have installed Windows 10 on my Desktop and my SP3. On my desktop the the start menu and task bar change colors when the background changes but on my SP3 I can't get that option to work. Anyone know a work around?

Automatic Color picker is activated?
Background auto color.PNG

I would prefer to do a clean win10 install (I think this is best idea - correct?) I dont want dual boot.
Why not Dual Boot? You can boot from a virtual Harddisk .vhdx file, no need to partitionate SSD.
But yeah, you'd need at least 256gb. my current win10 vhdx is 28gb when closed and 40gb when used.

Status
Not open for further replies.