What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why doesn't the normal way of settings, Add-ons, and then under search providers add Google and make it the default work? It works for me except at work, if I happen to be on my crappy Lenovo, when the admin policy seems to wipe out the default setting every 10 minutes.

Beyond me, i'm no programmer. Doing that works exactly as would be expected, until you get to the page where you chose your new search provider, and clicking the button does nothing. Right clicking and selecting open does nothing. Really wouldn't surprise me if it is intentional. MS have a raging hard-on over the idea of making people like bing. Well I don't, it can't return a worthwhile search result worth a damn.

GTiceman

What issue? My shares are working fine!

2nq7dpx.png

This happened sporadically, now in 10122 it happens all the time. Also the issue I have is for some reason my systems do not see my Server 2012 R2 shares or the server listed in Network, but manually entering \\Servername usually connects; which isn't happening in this build.

Kris

2nq7dpx.png

This happened sporadically, now in 10122 it happens all the time. Also the issue I have is for some reason my systems do not see my Server 2012 R2 shares or the server listed in Network, but manually entering \\Servername usually connects; which isn't happening in this build.
Had the same error.
Can you create a Homegroup, or delete and recreate one? I know it sounds dumb but fixed most of my issues. I don't use Homegroup but it got my network back on track.

Jay Parisi

Anybody else not like the new Mail app? The last couple updates it's changed, and not for the better.
I only use it for gmail, and for some reason it created an "Outlook" account that seems tied to my MS id that has no email.
I can't figure out how to get it to automatically download the entire email. The download link is at the bottom of the email so you start to read it, then it ends and you have to click download, then it pops up to the top.

Also, having the delete button on the right side made it easy to run through email while in tablet mode. Now it's at the top.

Looks a little better, but that's about it.

bender

2nq7dpx.png

Had the same error => addes as network drive with credentials like User: servername\username Password: xxx .

Turbo Brian

2nq7dpx.png

i had the same issue and it was driving me nuts. i found that if i disable ipv6 i can access my shares fine

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still finding it really strange that with taskbar at the bottom, the default is for the full cortana search box, but can be changed to the search icon, but with the taskbar on the top, you can only have the search icon. (not that i mind, i've no time for something silly like cortana)

wynand32

Still finding it really strange that with taskbar at the bottom, the default is for the full cortana search box, but can be changed to the search icon, but with the taskbar on the top, you can only have the search icon. (not that i mind, i've no time for something silly like cortana)

Found that part interesting, "i've no time for something silly like cortana." I used to think the same thing about all of them, Cortana, Siri, and Google Now. After using them for awhile, however, I think it's the future of computing. There's so much machine intelligence being developed that feed those systems that it'll not be too long before they start becoming _really_ useful. Even now, I'm finding uses for them that I never expected, even simple stuff like asking Siri when a restaurant is open and from that single question getting tons of useful information.

I think Cortana is the dark horse in Windows 10. By the time it rolls out, that's going to be a huge advantage that nobody else has. Apple will regret failing to roll Siri into OS X (and are probably working feverishly to do so know) because Cortana is going to offer some real advantages in how it access information throughout the OS. In my opinion, Microsoft should be doing as much as possible to bake Cortana everywhere into the OS (and Office). It'll pay real dividends eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.