What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compusmurf

yup and it's from the main channel too, not fbl_impressive. Hence why I said daring enough.... I'm trying to get 135 fbl_impressive because that one I'd actually try. AFTER backing up 130. lol

bluegrass

I know everyone is different, but I almost never leave my SP3 in sleep unless it's plugged in. The thing is so fast to boot from scratch I just turn it off when I'm travelling.

I turn it off anytime I'm not using it. Like you say, it boots so fast why use up any of the battery when you're not using it.

Compusmurf

I turned off CS completely. For that reason, and for the extended power configuration profiles. :)

In case folks don't know, it's a reg change and reboot.

manually
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0)

Powershell admin:

Display:
Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power -Name CsEnabled

Change:
Set-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power -Name CsEnabled -Value 0

Last edited:

bluegrass

Didn't you say Gabe said it had a massive update bug?

But can't wait for a new update, then again I will probably be trading one set of bugs for another set... Really don't know h0w they are going to make the July 29th deadline.

Hope you really don't expect the final release to fix all of your errors. There are certainly going to be some errors in the final release of Windows 10. Very few will be caused by the OS, but many will be lingering errors because of not flushing them down the toilet by formatting our SSD before installing the new OS & of course some will be application errors that need to be addressed by the company who wrote the application.

Many of the errors reported here in these threads can't possibly be caused by the OS builds because we all don't have the same ones.

Compusmurf

And you'll have issues with slightly incompatible software. EX: anything that adds or changes shellex for explorer might have to be changed, apps that use special device drivers or services might cause slight incompatibility issues, firewall apps, AV apps. Apps like classicshell with all kinds of registry hooks, registry cleaners, other utility apps.

I'm NOT worried about the way MS is doing their upgrades and leaving old code behind. They have gotten REALLY good with inplace upgrades, so I for one will NOT be wiping my SSD and starting over. That's all part of the insider test program. That's one of the things they are trying to make perfect with Win 10. Wipe if you want, that way you know you are starting with clean slate and latest versions of all your apps, but it should NOT be necessary.

Compusmurf

Fortunately I don't install many apps that muck with stuff so I wont be wiping clean. I keep things portable and data on my nas or cloud. So I should be golden. :) my bet on the sp4 will be August and I hope it's a worthy upgrade yet allows my peripherals to be compatible.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unlikely, it really needs Skylake or it will flop I feel. the S3 I think is our holdover until that point.

What were people saying about the idea of the sp3 being released before broadwell? The sp3 is often slower than the sp2, and this thing has been anything. It a flop. I'll stay positive it comes before too long :)

lhauser

System Firmware Update - ‎5/‎14/‎2015 finally installed today, after a Language Pack.
Apparently applies to the network adapter.
Did a full restart (from cold) afterwards, and saw a AMD (American Megatrends) BIOS screen for a split-second after powering back up. Never saw that before on any Surface device.

Network adapter seems to scan available WiFi networks faster than before.
Working great.

I've gotten the AMI bios screen every time I've rolled back to 8.1 (doing the full partition wipe) -- it actually insists I interact with it before it goes on. This is what you get for not having second thoughts about Win 10! :)

GTiceman

What were people saying about the idea of the sp3 being released before broadwell? The sp3 is often slower than the sp2, and this thing has been anything. It a flop. I'll stay positive it comes before too long :)
I know. Just saying. Plus it gives me more time to prep for SP4

lhauser

Running Start8 and ModernMix on 8.1 definitely makes it more tolerable.

I've used Classic Shell on 8.1. Modern Mix was definitely needed on 8.0, but I haven't missed it on 8.1. The improvements made by Classic Shell and Start8 were pretty much a tossup for me, but Start8 insists on replacing the start button graphic, and I rather like the default, which Classic Shell lets you keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.