What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

joell85

As I think may already have been stated. The biggest reason to update is in order to have feedback into the final version.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I think may already have been stated. The biggest reason to update is in order to have feedback into the final version.
That's the story anyway but when your feedback isn't heeded you may become jaded and bitter or annoyed at all the things you told them to fix that aren't. Yes it will happen. You are but a gnat on a large Dinosaur with very thick scaly skin... or is that a gnat on a Dinosaur's butt... I forget. :D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have it running in a VM and that has raised a number of questions for me, which I think are basic Windows 10 product issues but may be the VM. Any comments to the following observations would be greatly appreciated especially of the 'ye, that's what I get even on a all in full install'!

1) If a Modern UI app runs fills screen it seems to loose basic touch functionality, i.e. the news app can't be swiped left and right with a finger but only using the bottom cursor bar so even modern apps really need mouse or touchpad.

On my SP3 this works fine, swipe within all MUI Apps in a Windowed or Full screen mode work as expected, closing a Full screen MUI App isn't intuitive currently, swipe from the left to see open apps will bring it out of Full screen.

2) If you put back the start screen (not the desktop start menu) apps are started with a double click/press not just a single.!!

See Above

3) The only way to get full screen modern apps, even if start from the modern start screen is to select it from the three dot menu.

Swapping from desktop to modern start screen is clunky to say the least !

Do people think, or know, that these touch issues are because 'Continuum' (not the Canadian Scio-Fi series !) is not yet present ? How many of them, if any, will disappear in the continuum ?

Any comments will be gratefully received !

It is still a Tech Preview, make yourself heard by giving feedback

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
ok, when will be ready so W10? in how many months?

for what I have seen in the preview the most interesting things are that the store is like in a separate standard window now and the possibility to create more desktops, so you can manage better the job and spaces and may be to reduce much more the cpu load
H2 C2015 (my educated guess RTM mid July, OEMs and MSDN have it by the beginning of August, Volume License Customer by Mid August, Retail availability by early September.

rege0039

On my SP3 this works fine, swipe within all MUI Apps in a Windowed or Full screen mode work as expected, closing a Full screen MUI App isn't intuitive currently, swipe from the left to see open apps will bring it out of Full screen.

See Above

It is still a Tech Preview, make yourself heard by giving feedback

Thanks so much for responding.

Have you done a full install and so are not using it with in VM ?

I have given feedback and am wondering about doing the full install as I think there are some good reasons (i.e. being able to have a Modern App open on the desktop next to an old style app) to do it but have been unconvinced by what I have seen of it running in a VM.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks so much for responding.

Have you done a full install and so are not using it with in VM ?

I have given feedback and am wondering about doing the full install as I think there are some good reasons (i.e. being able to have a Modern App open on the desktop next to an old style app) to do it but have been unconvinced by what I have seen of it running in a VM.
Yes, I always Dogfood my testing...I load it on my production machine. This way I learn it and I can give real world feedback. VM testing can only go so far as the hardware is still abstracted.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
...being able to have a Modern App open on the desktop next to an old style app...

I didn't realize how much I would like this feature until I tried it. This is one of the reasons I will be sticking with Windows 10 Preview.

Build updates are expected weekly.

Morgan

Yes, I always Dogfood my testing...I load it on my production machine. This way I learn it and I can give real world feedback. VM testing can only go so far as the hardware is still abstracted.

I totally agree with you. VM testing is not really what the preview is for. It's not the way most users will run Windows 10.

Morgan

So I installed the Windows 10 preview yesterday, and overall it's pretty stable. However the proXPN client doesn't connect anymore and Faststone Capture doesn't let me do any screen captures anymore. I expect Microsoft to fix the proXPN issue, but the Faststone guys will probably adapt their software to Windows 10. And they're not likely to get started on that until a release candidate version is released.

Clovismod

Contrary to my first intent, I've decided to take the plunge and install W10 on my SP3. I've of course some troubles: a few programs aren't working, the handwriting recognition for French isn't available, and I've been forced to reinstall all my apps.

I agree some parts of the new Start Menu are unclear and touch features aren't as much developed in this preview than the mouse and desktop experience. Continuum is highly missed.

BUT I'm going to keep W10 . Folks, this version is for Windows 8.1 what W7 has been for Vista, running circles around. Using touch or mouse just feels both easier, more natural. The mui apps are blending with the old desktop as an evidence. It's like a perfect alchemy, even in this rather rough current state. For the first time, I feel I'm using an OS as much fun with finger than with a mouse. Pure magic....

Status
Not open for further replies.