What's new

Windows 10 'Redstone' 2 delayed to Spring 2017 with next devices

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ref: Microsoft pushes back Windows 10 'Redstone' 2 to Spring 2017 to line up with new Microsoft device wave | ZDNet

Microsoft's second major set of new features for Windows 10, known as 'Redstone 2,' are now a spring 2017 deliverable, meant to coincide with a new wave of Windows 10 hardware, sources say.

Microsoft is delaying Windows 10 "Redstone" 2, primarily because of the decision to wait until early 2017 to support a wave of new Microsoft-branded Windows 10 devices.

The Devices team was quick to rush out Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book in 2015, despite the fact that the Intel Skylake processors inside were hot off the chip presses. The result: A number of early adopters of those devices have suffered from power-management and other issues which many believe are related to the Skylake-Surface hardware combination.

I'm sure the Surface team wants to ensure history won't repeat itself with the next wave of new PCs, tablets and possibly new Surface Phones. As Intel is not expected to make its next Core processor family, known as Kaby Lake, available in volume until the end of 2016, I'd think Microsoft might be willing to take a little more time making sure the new processors and its new hardware play nice.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft repeatedly burned by Intel, probably wise to take the slower path but will miss another prime shopping season for 2016. Maybe Intel will release a Skylake refresh to help with the current wave. SP4 SE?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id assume the Surface 4 would not be on a quick cadence on the heals of Atom X7 Willow Trail with Skylake graphics core scheduled for Q2 2016 so maybe there will be a Q4 2016 Surface 4 Atom release. At least there would be something new for 2016 Holiday sales but missing the 2016 Back to School season.

macmee

if it kills my surface's battery even more like windows 10 did then they can delay it to 2028 for all I care.