What's new

Windows 10 update failed to install

seyclone

I was looking at the listings of updates that recently installed and noticed the following:

System firmware update - 9/15/2015
Failed to install - 9/16/2015

1. What was the update?
2. Why didn't it install?
3. Is there a way to access it to attempt to re-install?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Its an updated driver for the SD Card Reader, it took a second reboot for the driver to install for me....

VickiFL

This happened to me as well, and I see no way to retry. Hopefully it will resolve itself soon.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This happened to me as well, and I see no way to retry. Hopefully it will resolve itself soon.
If you have a micro SD card installed, remove it and reboot then run windows update.
If you don't have one installed, install one, reboot and then run windows update.

VickiFL

If you have a micro SD card installed, remove it and reboot then run windows update.
If you don't have one installed, install one, reboot and then run windows update.

I did that, but it still does not give me an option to "retry."

OP
seyclone

seyclone

I tried rebooting after taking out my 128gig SDXC card. No change! It's interesting - the Surface pro 3, a device designed and built by Microsoft is starting to exhibit the same kind of "brain farts" that Microsoft always blamed on hardware manufacturers that used Windows software for their non-adherence to Windows standards.

fletch33

i will try removing my SD card also 128 and see if it works. will have to report later as i am currently uploading a bunch of stuff and dont want to stop it.

VickiFL

My 9/15 firmware update has yet to re-install. I'm going to try to make it into the Microsoft store today to see if they can help.