What's new

Windows 10 upgrade or stay at Windows 8.1?

jfknm

When Windows 10 was available i tried it out on my SP3 i5 128gb, but switched back to 8.1 after a few days.

There was quite a battery drain, and some little things like no available brightness slider really bugged me.
Now the question is, there are 4 days remaining for a free upgrade, should i do it now?

What are your experiences regarding battery, overall performance?
I really like the Metro IE in windows 8.1, because of the touch features and the low battery drain. How is Edge compared in Windows 10? Is OneNote fully working like on 8.1? (I remember there were some issues).

Is the tablet mode an improvement of the 8.1 Metro UI?

Sorry for the many questions, but i would like to hear your opinion and experiences W10 vs W8.1

thanks!

leeshor

You upgraded once, you don't have that 4 day limit once activated on 10. You can pretty much wait all you want and it will still activate. With that said, and the big update coming on the 2nd I'd go for it anyway.

kundas1

go for the update, I hated win 10 in the beginning and now it is TIGHT especially with the anniversary update win 10 is very polished now... even on my phone windows 10 is working great! so yes go for it!

kristalsoldier

go for the update, I hated win 10 in the beginning and now it is TIGHT especially with the anniversary update win 10 is very polished now... even on my phone windows 10 is working great! so yes go for it!

Yes, me too - especially in Tablet mode! At the start, I felt the W10 set up to be very counterintuitive (especially on the start screen in Tablet mode). I remember mentioning this to @jnjroach too! But now, with AU imminent, I have grown very used to the W10 format and design and this is more so on the phone.

I must say that also in terms of functionality, the degree of device, service and activity integration is becoming increasingly evident and so increasingly useful too!

It has been a fascinating experience to see " virtually" first-hand how a highly popular OS (whichever way you want to interpret that) shapes up (as an Insider for the most part and on mobile especially).

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait until after the AU is released, no reason to go through the update twice, unless you get enjoyment from watching it update. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Insiders are already running the AU Update - MS is testing the rollups but the Build that the Fast Ring is using is what others will receive on 8/2

OP
J

jfknm

So i did the upgrade and i noticed the fan is running constantly and the device is quite warm. I'm not doing demanding tasks and the task manager does not show high cpu usage. Disappointed that this problem is still there

bluegrass

I don't think that is surprising. After an upgrade there is a lot of things going on. I should be ok after the dust settles. Of course you immediately went to and ran updates didn't you. Sometimes all the updates aren't installed and you need to run updates after the upgrade.

OP
J

jfknm

Ok that sounds right, i'm gonna wait and see how it'll play out. Did the updates right after the upgrade yep

Last edited: