What's new

windows 10 web browsing using touch does not resize

Deihmos

I had to revert my surface pro 3 to windows 8.1 because web browsing using touch was such a bad experience. In windows 10 while using chrome in desktop or tablet mode the browser window does not resize so sometimes i cannot see what i am typing . Windows 10 is great with a keyboard and mouse but o think it fails when it comes to touch. Tablet mode is useless too. Has anyone experienced this and know of a work around?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't use Chrome, but with Edge I get a great Touch Browser Experience....floating keyboard can be moved

OP
D

Deihmos

Edge window resizing only works if you turn on tablet mode and that mode is horrible to me. Edge browser isn't ready for prime time if you ask me. Table mode is just everything full screen with no way to not be fullscreen.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a double edged sword. If everything wasn't full screen, then undoubtedly people would cry that everything is too small for touch. When was the last time you used a tablet that didn't run apps in full screen? Personally I love tablet mode, works just great, for any instance where i need features beyond what tablet mode offers, it's only a swipe and tap away.

As has been mentioned, you can just move the keyboard if it is blocking your view of a text field.

Remember, this is a desktop and tablet OS in one, it would be impossible for there not be compromise.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Edge window resizing only works if you turn on tablet mode and that mode is horrible to me. Edge browser isn't ready for prime time if you ask me. Table mode is just everything full screen with no way to not be fullscreen.
This is exactly why I like Windows 10, Tablet Mode gives me a tablet experience great for reviewing and consumption and I can easily switch back to desktop for other tasks as I need to...

Edge (with HOST File Ad blocks) works great...at least for what I need a browser to do...

OP
D

Deihmos

I like to mix tablet and desktop together. Like I said Windows 10 is great with KB and mouse but when I try to use a mixture it fails unlike Windows 8.1 which works great in both. The modern IE is superior to using edge in tablet mode.

I guess there is no solution. I see many questions on Microsoft support so hopefully one day they will fix it but it seems Microsoft is no longer interested in tablets.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm no programmer or anything, but isn't it googles responsibility to make chrome touch friendly? would re-sizing when the keyboard pops up be microsofts responsibility or googles?

I don't know what has given you the idea that MS are no longer interested in tablets. Most of the discussion is subjective, and personally, I think that 10 is far superior to 8.1 for tablet use. Anyway, 8.1 vs 10 has been done to death so I will leave it at that.

OP
D

Deihmos

I don't think the resizing is related to google. It does it fine in Windows 8.1. On Windows 10 it will only work if the window isn't maximized. I think Microsoft just changed the behavior of Windows to make it more mouse friendly.

Microsoft clearly isn't as interested in tablets like they were before. Windows 10 isn't as touch friendly and they aren't pushing it like they use to. Windows on touch just didn't work out they way they thought it would.

bluegrass

About all I use these days is Edge and it resizes fine in non-tablet mode. By the way, I'm with you about tablet mode. If I was using the Surface in the field a lot, I might try and use the tablet mode more often.

And I don't use Chrome or Firefox unless a site just doesn't display correctly with Edge or IE.