What's new

Windows 10

Bevlyn

Can someone tell me if a surface pro 2 is big enough to receive the new Windows 10. It comes up that it is waiting to be downloaded, but I don't want it to over load the system.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The download is about 3.2 GB and in the staging folder is about 4 GB, with 20Gb as the space requirement for Upgrade. I don't know if that includes the staging folder or if you need 20GB at the time Setup runs.

more free space is always better... :) to a point... 20-25 or a couple GB more should do it.

CrippsCorner

Interesting... I only had 5Gb free the first time I tried installing Windows 10, and it wouldn't let me. So I free'd up some space and doubled what I had to 10Gb. It then installed without an issue... so I wonder what the 20Gb is about!?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting... I only had 5Gb free the first time I tried installing Windows 10, and it wouldn't let me. So I free'd up some space and doubled what I had to 10Gb. It then installed without an issue... so I wonder what the 20Gb is about!?
The 20GB was a MS published number for 64 bit OS (16GB I believe for 32bit but who has a 32 bit Surface) which could be on the conservative side or only apply to extreme cases.

leeshor

For the systems I have upgraded they were left with nearly the same free space after the upgrade as they had before if that helps. If you're totally satisfied with Windows 10 you can recover even more free space by deleting the Windows.old folder, which would be used to roll back if you wished.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

leeshor

I have noticed some variations between systsms but haven't determined what causes it. 2 of the systems I upgraded used a little more space after the upgrade but a disk cleanup resolved that. I make certain I do a "full" disk cleanup prior to the upgrade.