What's new

Windows 8.2... What Do You Want!?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You were wanting Smart Glass functionality and offered you that through a free app, it does the function you were requested. As far as having sway, the marketing team monitors this and every other Surface Community I'm sure....

dougpaw57

I'd like support for CardDAV and CalDAV. Actually I don't want to wait for 8.2, I want it now!

I've decided that in addition to the open-source stuff for Google access, that I want to be able to run MPEG videos in Windows RT. How hard would it be for MS to provide some codecs? I want this stuff now, not in a software drop a year from now.

SEANT

You were wanting Smart Glass functionality and offered you that through a free app, it does the function you were requested. As far as having sway, the marketing team monitors this and every other Surface Community I'm sure....

Fair enough. I showed no appreciation for your gesture. I apologize. And, in retrospect, my last post was poorly conceived because it likely conveys a snarky tone that was not my intention.

A bit of a defense to mitigate the posts:
I don’t know that much about gaming. There was a reference on the ‘Surface 3 …what do you want!?’ hardware thread (about the PS Vita) that caught me off guard. The reference prompted a wider investigation and the ‘SmartGlass’ feature jumped out. I looked like it had more features than just a remote – it looked like MS was making overtures towards two way, cooperative computing pairs.
I still think that would be an excellent way to promote the two (perhaps soon to be combined as one) WOA offerings.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No worries...

With Smart Glass, its OOB is that it acts as a Controller, select content, play content, etc. Some Games offer additional functionality, such as Forza 4 and 5 allow Smart Glass to act as your GPS while driving, some Combat Games use Smart Glass to act as your Intel Device.

SEANT

Games have been off limits to me since ‘Asteroids’ in the mid 80’s. To damned addicting. The stuff they offer today . . . . . I’d never get anything done.

ChemCat

Anyone here remember the original starcraft? Came out in 1997. I was still in grade school back then. I played online with other kids my age. Well, it is now 2013... going on to 2014, and the same group of us are still playing with each other online. The sad thing is every time I log on, there are fewer and fewer people logged onto Bnet.

Sometime I talk to the guys I've been playing with online since grade school. It's amazing how we've all turned out. Got people from all kinds of professions. And we're still playing sc with each other.

Last edited:

pallentx

I agree. I like some elements of that guys concept, but I don't get the fixation of a smaller start menu - especially in addition to the Win8 start screen. Its unnecessary and would be confusing to users. I'm not crazy about windowing apps either - although I hear that could be coming. MS is trying to get people out of the windowing mindset and onto something new.

pallentx

I want to see something like Airplay or Play to Xbox with something other than an Xbox. MS needs a chromecast-sized device you can take with you. I've seen companies bring in Apple hardware just to use Airplay in their conference rooms for presentations, video, and screen sharing because Apple makes it easy and accessible. MS is really missing out by not having a good alternative.

ChemCat

I agree. I like some elements of that guys concept, but I don't get the fixation of a smaller start menu - especially in addition to the Win8 start screen. Its unnecessary and would be confusing to users. I'm not crazy about windowing apps either - although I hear that could be coming. MS is trying to get people out of the windowing mindset and onto something new.

Actually, windowing for metro apps are already here. I've already started applying the feature in my apps. My apps are work apps (sorry gamers). For example, one of them is an LOB app for my company, which is an engineering firm. By having 2 windows of the same app running side by side on the split screen, someone like me can work on 2 things at once.